• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Think I lost my trans cooler!

Hi all, thought my 5/8 hoses were leaking before my transmission cooler but it appears to be my cooler instead. What are my options as far as what is available? How difficult is it to change out? Can I bypass it for right now? It's hay season & I need my truck.Thanks,Dave

Hi all, thought my 5/8 hoses were leaking before my transmission cooler but it appears to be my cooler instead. What are my options as far as what is available? How difficult is it to change out? Can I bypass it for right now? It's hay season & I need my truck. Thanks, Dave

Cooler at front or heat exchanger on drivers side of block. Just want to make sure we are talking same thing.

Cooler at front or heat exchanger on drivers side of block.

Just want to make sure we are talking same thing.

Hi John, heat exchanger on the pass side on the block. I called the local Cummins dealer, he had me sit down before he gave me the $3,000 price for a new one. :spend:

Can I get a used one & where?

Thanks,

Dave

- - - Updated - - -

I would need a how too in the R&R on this one. I don't know anything on these units!

Thanks again,

Dave

Hi John, heat exchanger on the pass side on the block. I called the local Cummins dealer, he had me sit down before he gave me the $3,000 price for a new one. :spend:

Thanks,

Dave

- - - Updated - - -

I would need a how too in the R&R on this one. I don't know anything on these units!

Thanks again,

Dave

Check out CF and post a wanted

I think its not required - as the transmission cools by the cooler up the front - its actually the exchange to allow heat to exchange into tranny when cold. Or something to that affect.

should be easy enough to replace - but might need to take turbo off .......

will try and find a thread that might help .......

- - - Updated - - -

I think its not required - as the transmission cools by the cooler up the front - its actually the exchange to allow heat to exchange into the block when cold. Or something to that affect.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-powertrain/496605-heat-exchanger-removal.html

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-powertrain/476830-failure-transmission-heat-exchanger.html

I think its not required - as the transmission cools by the cooler up the front - its actually the exchange to allow heat to exchange into tranny when cold. Or something to that affect.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-powertrain/496605-heat-exchanger-removal.html

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-powertrain/476830-failure-transmission-heat-exchanger.html

Thanks John, I checked out both links & posted in both, much appreciated, Dave:thumbup2:

Check:NAPAO'Reilly'sAutozoneRockAutoLocal salvage yardAftermarket storesCustom fab shopIF mine ever goes out, I will pay someone to fab me up a stainless steel or aluminum exchanger. Would be fairly easy, I would think.ORJust eliminate it from the system...

Check: NAPA O'Reilly's Autozone RockAuto Local salvage yard Aftermarket stores Custom fab shop IF mine ever goes out, I will pay someone to fab me up a stainless steel or aluminum exchanger. Would be fairly easy, I would think. OR Just eliminate it from the system...

The parts stores said it was a Cummins part. I did put a WTB on CF like JohnFak suggested. I'm still looking, may try rad shop as well, Dave

Thanks,

Dave

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks again,

Dave

When i had my trans rebuilt i took my cooler off at the advice of my tranny guy to flush it out and to remove the check in the line. He has seen the checks plug up and restrict flow. Since their only purpose is to keep the fluid from draining out of the cooler and back into the pan when the truck is off, he said I was better off leaving it out. When I pulled the cooler out, the only thing i remember removing was the intake elbow (for better visibility). Its a bit of a pain working around the turbo but I didnt want to mess around taking it off. Youll have to remove the two coolant lines ( youll lose a decent amt of coolant so be ready to catch it or drain some out before you pop em loose) from the top side, and the two trans lines from underneath. If i remember correctly theres only two bolts holding the cooler in place. While your underneath removing the trans lines take a good look at it you should at least be able to see the bolts from down there.