• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Power steering lines leaking

Hi all. I haven't been on here in several months. Was rebuilding my motorcycle. Anyway, it appears that my power steering lines are leaking pretty bad, and looking for any advice on best way to change them out. I'm not sure yet which one is leaking as I need to clean it up and take a better look. Is there anything special I need to know? Thanks.

Watie,Nothing special really. Like you said clean it up. There are MANY places for it to leak. I would be surprised if it is really a hose, but more than likely the O-ring at the interfaces. (it can be other things too, post up if the leak seems to be in a weird spot) If it is a hose, you may have trouble at the Zone type places getting the right parts.... 1/2 ton gasser, they got it:), need a pink Christmas tree air freshener, got it:hyper:, 8800gvw Dodge, they never made one:banghead:.Hag

So, I've done some searching here, and cleaned and looked under the truck. It is dripping oil directly from where the vacuum pump mates with the P/S pump, so think I have that nailed down to needing one of Geno's rebuild kits. But, new question, it appears that the oil is engine oil and not P/S fluid. Is this correct? Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

So, according to Geno's garage it is engine oil, so answered my own question. I'm thinking of ordering their vacuum seal rebuild kit with the DVD. Has anyone used this kit? Is it worth the $60, or can I get the seals cheaper and find a way to get them in there without the fancy looking PVC stuff

http://www.genosgarage.com/GOULD-VACUUM-PUMP-RESEAL-KIT-96-02/productinfo/GOULD%5FVPRK%5F9602/

Thanks.

Watie, I would get my kit from Cummins 4089742 or http://www.fixinrams.com/. While my local cummins guys were able to get the part for me, they couldn't tell me much else. The guys at Gould were super helpful answering questions and such!!!! Well worth a call! Do take a minute to check out the Gould site. He has a lot of helpful pictures. Remove the tube from the Intercooler to the intake. (yes it can be a pain...) Take the hoses loose from the PS pump, (the return lines will fight you.), loosen the one bracket bolt from the block to the PS pump (you will see it ok from underneath), take the oil pressure line loose from the bottom, and take the 2 bolts out that hold the vacuum pump to the timing housing. Pull the whole assembly as one piece! so much easier that way. GL HTH Hag

Thanks for the great info. I'll check out Gould's again. I was there last year, but had no need then for this. Glad I got my bike done so I can ride this week and let my old girl rest on the driveway until I can get that fixed. It definitely looks doable, just PITA with all the lines and wires in the way. I'll keep you all posted how it goes.