• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fixing little bitty tires...

I have been driven half insane by a little green (nursery) wagon. Very handy around the yard. (Most recently to haul my cannons & powder magazine to the backyard on the 4th... til the wheel fell off again.) Let me start at the beginning:

Wagon is a few years old...

2 front tires went flat. I patched the tubes... let them sit for a few days, seemed fixed. I found it takes 4 hands to hold the 2 piece rims, tube & tires, get the bolts, lock washers & nuts installed. (Note, I only have one hand that works decent, my frustration level gets pretty high.) The tires stayed up 2 days counting the day I put it together. FAIL!

I took them apart, Sheila cleaned the tube & patched it (gonna show me how)... they didn't stay up 24 hours. FAIL!!

I bought new patches, patched the tube again, seemed like that's what it took... 3 days later... flat again. FAIL!!

I was at Harbor Freight, bought 4 solid tires, wheels, bearings. They fit on, needed big washers to shim. Much heavier than tire/wheel combo. Took way too much effort to pull. FAIL!

On another trip to Harbor Freight, they had china wheels with tubes & tires. I bought them, they slid right on. Could not get the lock washers under the cap nut but otherwise, seemed a fix. FAIL!!

Posted Image

(All the things tried to get rubber under a little wagon)

Over the 4th, towed the wagon behind my scooter... I made several trips, setting up & again packing up... til... the wheel came off. FAIL!! 11mm cap nut is AWOL in the yard somewhere. We walked the track a couple of times, didn't recover it, of course. I even used my big 16" magnet (screw picker-upper) with no success.

I asked the Home & Auto store where it had come from & they did get tubes in for me... 5.99ea seemed pretty reasonable at this point but I was not looking forward to struggling with the assembly. But I'd been thinking all this time... I needed a clamp, a fixture to hold it all together. So here it is.

Posted Image

I used a big dowel to make a guide that slides into the bearing on the back piece... with a flange that catches the outside wheel half while still allowing access to the bolts holes. I used a 1/4' threaded rod, wing nut, flat washer & plain nut.

Posted Image

Sorry about the focus... so this is the guide. Held in a vise on the corner of the bench.

Posted Image

Here the guide is holding the wheels halves together & I've gotten 2 bolts started.

I really like that I can go around the tire & squeeze it enough to see the rim halves meet to be sure the tube isn't pinched... before tightening the nuts. I think I may have started to pinch the second tube but by the time I'd inspected all the way around, it was free again. Snug the bolts down & over to the compressor to air them up.

I couldn't get meteric cap nuts locally. I picked up a couple of 11mm nuts at Home Depot, supposed to be self locking but not Ny-lock. Hope they go on far enough to lock or allow a lock washer.

To Be Continued...

Russ, I use carts with the same 10" tires to haul 650 pound moon bounces on, for my business. I constantly have to fix flats. I can do the wheel-halves by hand, but I do have (mostly) total control over both hands (nerve damage in left arm from broken neck in '03.) The no-flat replacements are too expensive ($25-30) and the tubed ones are getting harder to come by, so it seems. I've stepped one of my carts up to the 13" tire assembly (http://www.harborfreight.com/13-inch-x-5-inch-heavy-duty-pneumatic-tire-37767.html) and this actually seems to help. As for the axle nut issue, I had one cart that lost an axle nut, so I drilled a 1/8" hole (after measuring the appropriate location) slid the wheel assembly on, followed by a flat washer, then a cotter pin.