• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cirrus on Friday the 13th jinks

flagmanruss

I was tight for an appointment. I always start whatever vehicle & let it idle while I set up GPS & fasten seatbelts... The Cirus just shut off. Refused to restart although it turned over fine. I grabbed my stuff, GPS, fired the CTD up & away I go. I was ON IT to make up time, so I'm sure I screwed up mpg. I hit WOT a few times & the low restriction exhaust definately is louder. I made it on time. I "old lady" drove the CTD on the way back to earn back some mpgs... I tried restarting the Cirus. It seemed like it wanted to start but really wasn't firing at all. About the third try, I got one cylinder to kick in & ran the rest of them into operating. I don't get it...Russ

Edited by flagmanruss

• Owner

Will the on/off kep work on 97. I don't have a code reader.

It might but you going to get flash codes... The flash codes system will flash the check engine light. Basically count the fllash then pause count the flashes again... Then long pause. This would be 1 number... Always a double digit... The problem with this system is that its very general in diagnostics... I'll fing the codes and get a copy of them posted for you...

I'm going to start the Cirrus up... assuming it will... & let it run a bit. Start & stop it a few times... see if it recurrs before taking it out of the driveway.It has a full fuel tank as I filled it on my way home. I don't see how it could be water with all the alcohol they add these days. My fear is that it might be the intank fuel pump.Russ

Cirus would not start. I do suspect some type of a fuel issue. Still turns over fine. At some point I'm going to have it towed. I can't risk getting stranded. I got my CTD or wife's Subaru as she's out of town. (I have a very hard time getting into Subaru with my legs.)

I agree most likely a fuel issue. I'm going to decide where I want it to go before I call AAA. I just filled the fuel tank & drove home, maybe bad fuel or filter needs changing. In the last month I replaced a rusted out transmission line, so maybe a fuel line failed too. Possibly a failed lift pump. "Alright gentlemen, place your bets!" I can just see the mag wheel sitting in the middle of a roulet table.Russ

• Owner

If it was a bad fuel line you would be smelling gasoline everywhere... (But you never said anything about smell) Bad fuel is possible... (Did you try to put diesel in it? :eek:) Bad fuel filter... Typically a bad fuel filter has some signs of failure happening like with heavy load or WOT operation it will fall on its face and get worse with time. Bad pump... Well that just like the Cummins... Iusually just drops dead and that's that... So if I'm a betting man I would have to say pump... Second choice would be filter...

Well, pump is exactly what I'm afraid of. I got it running this morning.... eventually it caught. Dumb thing is it seems to run ok, once it catches... but then it's not under any load. I'm not about to drive it anywhere with out a chase vehicle. I'm not a believer in co-incidences... when I moved it into a less bothersome parking, the brakes just kind of mooshed to the floor before stopping it. It was not like that when I drove it into the yard. The brake fluid is indeed down quite a bit... more than half!? WTF??Russ

Edited by flagmanruss

The garage says the No Start & brake issues are not related, just coincidence. They say the rear brake lines have failed. The computer had no codes. They think the wet weather may have caused the no start issue. Replacing cap, rotor, plugs & wires is a PITA. I'm having the shop do it all & let Ma Mastercard worry about it later. I hope they are right, so I don't incurr additional expense... but I do not believe in coincidences. Russ