• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cirrus on Friday the 13th jinks

flagmanruss

This is going to set me back a grand anyhow... OUCH!! I asked for the mechanic to check the fuel pressure while the car was in the shop. That is an alturnative for No Start issues & if I'm going to have confidence in it, I need to know the lift pump is not playing games with me. Supposed to be working on it today... almost 6 so I guess it's not done. Russ

8 AM call from the mechanic. Yesterday, he tried to start the car with no brakes... he couldn't get it to start. I know intermittant things are a SOB to find, so was not surprised when the mechanic said he needed to see it in failure mode. The Gods of Friday the 13th heard him & obliged! LOL.Crank & cam sensors check out. Distributor has failed. All coroded inside. So, the "Mystery of No Start" is solved. The body is good. Interior is good. only 91,000 original miles. I know lots of folks would total this car. The issues are accumulated maintance. I'm going to fix it. Estimate $1500 total. The next big item is timing belt, water pump, probably in a year... 100,000. This is an interferance engine.Russ

Edited by flagmanruss

• Owner

Ouch Russ... Sounds like the moisture and road salt really gets to everything. :eek: I know for you it might be tough for you to move around but it might be a idea it grab another family member (younger gen) and have them wash your rigs (body, under the hood, and under body). This would help in this problem. Of course you would have to teach them a little bit but it would help you in the long run. During the washing and such they could be looking for unusual leaks, wet spots, rusted or damaged parts, etc. Then if you arm them with a digital camera you can have them shot pics of the damage or leaks and you can see them without having to crawl under too... Just trying to think outside the box and give you the upper hand...

8 AM call from the mechanic. Yesterday, he tried to start the car with no brakes... he couldn't get it to start. I know intermittant things are a SOB to find, so was not surprised when the mechanic said he needed to see it in failure mode. The Gods of Friday the 13th heard him & obliged! LOL. Crank & cam sensors check out. Distributor has failed. All coroded inside. So, the "Mystery of No Start" is solved. The body is good. Interior is good. only 91,000 original miles. I know lots of folks would total this car. The issues are accumulated maintance. I'm going to fix it. Estimate $1500 total. The next big item is timing belt, water pump, probably in a year... 100,000. This is an interferance engine. Russ

My mother owns a Stratus and the water pump and timing belt were a major pain on that car, we had it all apart when the head gasket decided to go. Its not that there is anything complicated about the procedure but mother mopar really jammed the engine in there. Here car has 130k now, she bought it brand new in 96. She still likes the car and really doesn't want a car payment again so I guess we will continue to fix it every time it gives till we have built a new car lol.

This shop is very through & slightly aggressive about finding minor things to fix... which can get costly. I did not allow them to do the serpintine belt which has some cracking (I've never seen one that did not) or the timing belt. When that is done, the water pump will be replaced too. The "front" (right side) did not need to come off to do the work needed to get it back on the road. They stripped the top of the engine to get to the plugs, wires, distributor. The transmission oil looked contaminated after the previous transmission line failure so that was flushed & refilled. The rear brake lines were replaced. I'm not real happy with the feel of the brake pedal but am going to drive it & see if the auto adjusters take up some slack. As is it cost me $1700 on Ma Mastercard. I'm thinking of putting one old Chrysler under the tree.