• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

ATS Stage 2 47RE Review

All,

A while back it was requested that when I get my trans redone, I let everybody know how it runs... Since ATS is such a strongly debated company in particular.

I went with the Stage 2 trans, and 1400 - 1500 RPM stall 5 star converter. I've had this a couple days, so all I have is reviews on basic customer service and how it drives.

First off, it drives great. The low stall is a bit of a compromise, as I could probably be a bit higher, 1800 - 2000 RPM and I would be a bit faster and have a bit faster spool. However, I like the fact that I can grunt around town without having to rev. The kickdown is goodand seems to mesh well with my engines power curve. It doesn't feel like the previous transgo valve body and mostly stock components AT ALL! It seems solid, as any new trans should, and all the bits and pieces do what they are supposed to do.

I thought about getting a Co-Pilot, but due to the stupid $$$ I spent at ATS already, I decided to see how it drives out of the shop first. At this point I am not getting a Co-Pilot, as it really doesn't seem necessary. The efficiency of the 5 Star converter is very good, and I really don't think I am giving up $600 in performance! LOL!

Customer service on the sales side was good. I dealt with Patrick, and he was quick to respond to questions and what not. He was also knowledgeable and had answers for my questions that made sense and weren't just brush off answers. Due to time, I had the shop put in a new Trans Temp gauge, as mine died. I was fairly specific about the color to sales. Black face, green back light. Turns out they put in a white face, green back light. We shall see how good they are in fixing this, as it is probably an honest mistake, as I have white face gauges in there already that I am planning on replacing.

The warranty and long term drivability will be something that I learn about as time goes on... But hopefully their trans does as well as some folks I know here in Denver say theirs have done.

All in all, I am a happy customer in how it drives, the install through their shop in Arvada was painless, and I hope to not have to deal with the trans for a very very long time to come. :pray:

Below is the trans I got for around $5300. Perhaps I overpaid a little, but Goerend has stopped selling transmissions, and Garmon/Sun Coast/BD seemed like a toss up compared to ATS right in my back yard. Plus, with ATS I didn't have to install the darn thing!

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=align: left][TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=class: bodytext, colspan: 2]

[*]ATS billet input shaft

[*]New performance direct clutch pack and steels with 1 added friction

[*]New performance overdrive brake clutch pack and steels with 1 added friction

[*]New performance forward clutch pack and steels

[*]New performance overdrive clutch pack and steels

[*]Low/reverse band replaced with Borg Warner Red Lining performance band

[*]Intermediate/2nd gear band replaced with Borg Warner Red Lining performance band

[*]1:3.8 band apply lever

[*]Billet Band strut

[*]Billet accumulator piston

[*]Precision machined forward pressure plate (machined step)

[*]Precision machined lower forward pressure plate (machined flat)

[*]Precision machined overdrive brake pressure plate (machined flat)

[*]New direct pressure plate

[*]Performance low/reverse one-way clutch

[*]Machined TV valve sleeve (prevents sticking TV valve)

[*]Ability to achieve 1st and 2nd gear lockup

[*]Ability to circulate fluid to the torque converter in park/reverse/neutral

[*]Increase line pressure

[*]Improve shift quality and firmness

[*]Gasket and seal overhaul kit

[*]Bearings and bushing

[*]ATS 5 Star Viskus Clutch Drive Torque Converter

[*]ATS Extra Deep Transmission Pan

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

• Like 2

That's awesome. Keep this thread alive with updates from time to time. Yeah the whole ATS thing. But you know some of the biggest HP trucks run ATS transmissions. I think it's the customer service thing that let them down. same thing that DTT is going through now. Did you get a new flex plate ? What's the warranty ? I think it was smart going with a vendor that you can drive to.

That's awesome. Keep this thread alive with updates from time to time. Yeah the whole ATS thing. But you know some of the biggest HP trucks run ATS transmissions. I think it's the customer service thing that let them down. same thing that DTT is going through now. Did you get a new flex plate ? What's the warranty ? I think it was smart going with a vendor that you can drive to.

They advised that I didn't need a flex plate unless I added additional power or had their full race valve body put in. If I had the full race valve body though, they recommended billet flex plate as well as intermediate and final shafts, as I would break stuff. Warranty basically covers everything but the shafts and fluid. As I had ATS install it, there isn't much they can say for proper/improper install procedure, and the way its explained to me is that they pretty much cover the internals for 5 yr / 500,000 mi and if I can break the guts, they will replace the parts. For the first year, they will cover shipping on trans or any parts that need replaced if I were out of town and did it myself or had it done. Their written warranty is a bit tighter than this, but I talked to the ATS guys that have been there for a long time and they said that they will pretty much fix it as long as I don't come in with the cooler lines disconnected. That was more of a look in the eye and handshake though, since thats not something they would actually write down. I think a lot probably depends on if I am an ___ hole or not if I have problems.