• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

time to get serious on my 'winter' project! (94 ram 2500) here is my options!

now that I got the '00 3500 woes behind me.. time to get serious in wrangling up parts for my ranch truck!

I have the '94 2500 original diesel pickup I bought last year. The Automatic went south, and the previous owner basically sold parts off of it. I bought it mainly for body parts to fix up my other rams... BUT I have decided to put her back on the road.

So, in some of my earlier posts, I wrote how maybe I'd go with a 24 valve, and possibly throw the Allison 1000 behind it. Then figure out how to wire it all up. I've done a little searching, and getting a 24 valve already mated to the allison (sae #3 bellhousing) from a medium duty rig (fed ex, tater chip etc) was going to run about 5k and up. Then, the adapter and output shaft to mount my transfer case.. I'd need to find a dodge air to air cooler, radiator, engine mounts, fab a trans mount, fit the driveshaft.. Then either go with the 98.5 and up pcm, wiring harness, probably have to get the gauges to match... OR go with a simple 'engine run'

harness, and build a mechanical dash. (Not run through truck pcm). This would push my investment to 10k?? This is assuming nothing needs to be rebuilt!

Today, I found a rolled on side 96 ram 2500 with 4X4, nv 4500 and the original 12v cummins. 200k miles. He already found a new cab, some glass.. and it's not too far from me to go and check out!

He told me the nv4500 might be sold, but has a '04 nv5600 he'd sell . 3500$ for everything but the trans. (not sure how high up the tree he will be on the 5600)

This sure would speed up my parts hunt, all in one score.

I am concerned about the nv4500, has anyone figured out how to keep 5th gear on the shaft? and would it take the punishment of heavy hauling/increased hp ( I'd like to build the 12v to ~300-350~)... or would I be better off to snag the Nv 5600? If it is a true '04, it should have the larger input shaft.

I like the idea of going with a mechanical engine, and trans... LESS wiring issues!

here is a poor pic of my '94

Posted Image

I was getting a nice warm feeling that someone finally figured it out! Right up to the paragraph stating they no longer sell those parts... :banghead:ISX: how do you use your truck? Looking at what you have for estimated power, and economy... I'm thinking about doing a copy cat on my project! (hint... be prepared for an 'occasional' question!)

Probably won't budge for 4 years so you can have it lol. I pull our dirt bike trailer around and thats about it. Occasionally a powerstroke haha. Just make sure you get a good clutch before you put it all together... One that holds at least eh 900ft lb. When you get to that 400HP/800TQ point you are pretty well at your limit before you have EGT issues. I'm talking with stock parts.. I actually have a guide for everything I did. Here it is http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/3656-How-to-Make-the-Perfect-12V Just remember, I have 100% control of the throttle since I have NO AFC... Some people don't have that kinda control with their foot it seems. I don't see it as being that hard. You might also need it for smoke control. I seem to have got into this natural smoke hindering driving habit so I don't really get it rolling too much. It just raises EGT's and blacks stuff out...waste of time lol. But yeah ask away.

What is this 'spacer' I read about.. ' starter spacer'.. Is the clutch deeper than one on the 4500 ?If I go with a 5600 , I better dang well know the parts needed.Longer trans= shorter driveshaft.. = longer TC shift rod = stretch out the vac lines to tc = same to electrical as long as I have the heavy crossmember... I'll be good for a swap.

Got that '97 dodge bought yesterday, now need to go back with the trailer and retreive all the parts!It was laid over fairly hard. the cab is trapezoid. I agreed to buy the replacement cab and box as part of the deal. (It's an extended cab and 8 foot box) Those are for re-sale, as well as the frame. (anyone interested???) He had most of the old cab pretty much stripped, And has a huge box of all interior parts. It'll take a little time to make sure it's all there before I leave his place. (I hope he saved the screws):banghead:I bought it contingent of it at least running... so when I show back up he'll have a battery hooked up to it.Bellhousing is still on the block. What I do know: 205k miles,Does not come with the nv4500, but still has the heavy tc (has a lead on a 'good' nv5600)hasn't run for about 2 years, but antifreeze was full and good colored.. engine oil was good and black. Truck has AC, cruise, power seats, windows. Guarantees me that the ONLY thing he has sold off of it is the 4500..3.55 gear, limited slip. Plans are to take parts off this donor truck and transplant it into my very nice '94. I'll need to do the clutch pedal swap, and not sure.. probably the dash/all wiring/ pcm due to the fact of the obd1 verses obd2 Sounds like I have the correct trans crossmember for the upgrade to the 5600.. I have the wide one.Need to shorten my rear drive shaft... and hunt down the longer front shaft.I might of found better (cheaper) deals, but I need to get busy! I've had my '94 for over a year now, and it's READY to be resurrected!pics to follow!