• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Finally!

ISX

So I have my internet connected to a router then to this computer. This computer has 3 ethernet jacks and I hate wireless connections and cannot hook another computer up to the internet in here unless I utilize that wireless. Well after tinkering off and on for months, I finally figured out how to get one of those damn vista laptops to get internet by going through my xp computer and then the router and then to the internet. I got the XP computer all set up and then I couldn't figure out how to get vista to see that it was the internet provider. It would just say it had an unrecognized network. I clicked on a bunch of things and figured out the XP one was set sending out everything at 192.168.0.1. So I got on vista laptop and pinged it, hmm, now the end of the tunnel is seen, network type settings pop up and it is on the internet. Not sure why it decided to work like that but this is kinda a HUGEEEEE personal achievement for me :lmao:Ahh crap, I have to ping the XP computer every time the laptop sleeps or turns off or anything. DamnitOk now vista will connect to xp's network but it wont go on the internet. The only thing that happened was the vista went to sleep and so it dropped the ethernet. Now it just wont see the internet.

post-45-138698162178_thumb.jpg

Edited by ISX

• Owner

So I have my internet connected to a router then to this computer.

First off get rid of the router and find a workgroup switch. The rule of thumb is you can't route a router The DSL is a router in itself.

http://www.google.com/products?q=workgroup+switch&rls=com.microsoft:*&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=wzQQS_u0GIyXtgf-sNisCQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CEEQrQQwAw

This computer has 3 ethernet jacks and I hate wireless connections and cannot hook another computer up to the internet in here unless I utilize that wireless.

A workgroup switch above with fix this problem.

Well after tinkering off and on for months, I finally figured out how to get one of those damn vista laptops to get internet by going through my xp computer and then the router and then to the internet. I got the XP computer all set up and then I couldn't figure out how to get vista to see that it was the internet provider. It would just say it had an unrecognized network. I clicked on a bunch of things and figured out the XP one was set sending out everything at 192.168.0.1. So I got on vista laptop and pinged it, hmm, now the end of the tunnel is seen, network type settings pop up and it is on the internet. Not sure why it decided to work like that but this is kinda a HUGEEEEE personal achievement for me :lmao:

Ahh crap, I have to ping the XP computer every time the laptop sleeps or turns off or anything. Damnit

That's because the network card is sleeping so The driver got to be kicked by a ping to wake it up. Once again a simple workgroup switch will fix this problem.

Ok now vista will connect to xp's network but it wont go on the internet. The only thing that happened was the vista went to sleep and so it dropped the ethernet. Now it just wont see the internet.

http://base0.googlehosted.com/base_media?q=FroogleCatalog_CNETI57320.jpg&size=4&dhm=fd144017&hl=en

Like here on my desk I got laptop that Mom loves to use but it piggy backed off my computer. My computer is bridged the both cards (Vista 64) but serving out to a older XP Win laptop. The problem is to keep the network alive you got to keep all machines downstream up and running constantly or the network fails. So with a workgroup switch then each and every computer has its own feed and not relying on downstream computers to feed it.

Ok... I'm going to assume a few thing and use my own network as a example.

DSL

192.168.254.254 - Gateway & DNS Address

255.255.255.0 - Subnet Mask

So this means that 192.168.254.x is you network address. ALL computers must have a IP address start with these 3 numbers. The last number x is the address of the computer. So this give you 255 connection on your network...

Master - 192.168.254.1

--- Laptop 192.168.254.4 (Piggy backed from Master)

Mom - 192.168.254.2

Shop - 192.168.254.3

--- Bench 192.168.254.5 (Port for customer computers)

So now your allowed to plug in as many workgroup switches as needed. Like I could pull the line from master and put into a 4 port workgroup switch and split the signal. This is the correct way but like you and me we don't have lots of money at times...

But basically you need to verify you computer name are all different.

Make sure all machine are working in the same network address (depends on subnet mask). But like my example of my computer the first 3 number are network address and 4th is computer address.

Here is my setup with a built in router/workgroup switch. (thumbnails)

post-2-138698162192_thumb.jpg

post-2-138698162199_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Figured I would try out an old network hub. Works flawlessly. Its a netgear ethernet hub model EN104TP and I don't understand what this uplink/normal button is for. One of the jacks says link on it so I think that has something to do with it but the internet works no matter what mode its on be it normal or uplink so I don't understand what it does. :confused: Nevermind http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081031210022AAtNykd

Edited by ISX

Thats the sites I was going by :lol3: Then I found other sites saying vista doesn't support tcp/ip over firewire. I guess XP is the only OS that ever did, and I only have one firewire card and all the laptops with it built in are vista. I wish there was a way.