• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Error Codes P0602 and P1693

Hi Guys, my truck started hesitating while driving it this morning. This happened a couple of weeks ago when I started driving when it was cold and the problem seemed to go away when warm, so I thought the Smarty was limiting fuel till the engine warmed up. This morning it hesitated (feels like fuel starvation) after it was warm, did it for about 10 minutes and then everything was fine. I just got home and pulled the codes from the Smarty and got 2; P0602 and P1693. In reading other posts here I get that the 0602 is a normal code because of the smarty changing the fuel map, and the 1693 is a companion code usually in conjunction with something else. So I have a circular argument in that the normal smarty code is causing the companion code? If I understand what I've read here neither code tell what the problem is. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

So do you think I just need to adjust the FP? I hardly was under any load at all when this occured.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anybody have any ideas? I want to hit the road this weekend and now I don't trust my truck. I have the low pressure warning switch/LED and I know that is has never illuminated with the engine running. Perhaps the VP44 is failing?:cookoo:

• Owner

I've got that low pressure light on mine too (Cummins) but Cummins ow pressure light comes on at 3.5 PSI which way too low. Lower limit is 10 PSI and suggested minimum is 14 PSI. Unless you get a adjustable Hobbs switch and set it for 10 PSI. But I still would suggest pressure gauge over any low pressure light.

I've got an Isspro EV FP sender and gauge coming this week, as well as a bigline kit from Vulcan, with new non quick release fittings. I'm know this will give me much better diagnostics and am hoping the lines and fittings will cure that intermittent low power surge issue. Hoping this is not the advance warning of a VP44 failure.

• 2 weeks later...

Because of the cold weather here last week, I didn't install the big fuel lines and gauge, and went on a trip to central CO. Leaving there yesterday my truck again hesitated climbing a slight hill like before, felt like fuel starvation. Took it easy all the way back and today I started to put in the lines and the gauge. Got all the lines in and went to bleed the system up to the VP44 by bumping the starter to get the Raptor to pump and guess what? The Raptor would not pump anything. I could hear it running, but nothing out. Not a drop. I had the old stock lift pump and installed that and had plenty fuel to bleed the system and start the truck. So tomorrow I will get the gauge installed. But here's the question guys...how could I drive this truck without any lift pump operation? Is it possible that the VP44 was actually pulling the fuel to it? Scary thought. I had the tank half full or more for most of the trip. Something doesn't add up here. I will disassemble the Raptor tomorrow to see why it is not pumping. I'm pissed that I purchased this aftermarket pump to alleviate any chance of fuel starvation to the VP, and it actually looks like it caused fuel starvation to the pump:mad:. I will be on the phone Monday to try to get some answers.

First an update on my situation and then I have a question to pose to the forum:So I installed the big lines and the FP gauge kit over the weekend. I go to prime the fuel system afterwards and have no flow from the Raptor 100. Nada. I can hear it running, but nothing is flowing. I take it off and put on the perfectly good stock lift pump and it pumps great. Bleed the system and the truck runs fine, but the FP is only around 10-11 psi. I didn't want to drive it with that low a FP, so I take apart the Raptor on Sunday to see if I can discern what is the problem. Everything looks fine, I put it back together and am thinking that maybe the plug was not seated well enough (I've read stuff on here about that). So Monday I swap pumps (getting pretty good at this now, only 30 minutes!), and make sure the plug is really solidly connected, still nothing. Just to refresh I drove back from Western CO last week with this pump, and now there is no pumpy at all. So I call Air Dog in Indiana and after proving I actually purchased the pump they send me another one. Put it in today and it pumps like a dream. FP was about 14, I adjust it to 18.5. So I go out to see if the original problem is cured and within 10 minutes I get once again what feels like fuel starvation. FP fluctuates between 18-19 at idle and 14 or so WOT. The gauge jumps around a bunch put it seems to be in this range. This "fuel starvation" feeling happened for about a minute then everything worked great. Drove it all afternoon without anymore issues, which has been what has happened the other times.So my question is has anyone else experienced this? I look back and this seems to happen after the truck has sat for several days and within 10 minutes of starting to drive. Could it be I am just passing some air, and once it passes there are no other problems? Where would the air come from? This time maybe from residual left from bleeding, but other times I have not bled prior to it occurring. Just grasping at straws here. I want to go out and camp in Utah between Christmas and New Years, and if this is just a random thing that others have experienced and can explain I would feel a lot better. Don't want a $1000 tow bill if I can help it! I don't have any remote explanation of the Raptor failing. It must have functioned on the trip back from out west, but would not pump to bleed the system twice. Does not give me a lot of confidence in these, but maybe it's something I did that I have not a clue.:banghead::banghead: