• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Expecting to be snowed in...

flagmanruss

I'm not sure what you mean 'synthetic rope'. I'm familiar with lots of yacht ropes. My buddy had his atv cable replaced last fall with something like this but it's broke already. He's not happy... and they replaced his roller fairlead at the same time. He offered me the old roller fairlead but I've already ordered my own new replacement. We cut off the worn piece of cable. Really there were fairly few splinters. I've seen much worse on come-a-longs. As we only use the winch for the plow... there's only 3 feet of cable deployed... it's not like general purpose uses. I'm thinking the steel cable might be the beter for my use.update: My friend says his winch rope broke on the first use. :(

They make 3 or 4 foot sections of wire rope and synthetic rope specifically for plowing (if thats what your referring to when you say you only have 3 feet deployed for plowing) the advantage is quicker spooling which operates the plow faster. The obvious disadvantage is you cant use it for anything else. Sounds like your friend had a defective rope, nothing should ever break on the first try (unless he had it wrapped around something he shouldnt have). My winch is made by viper but I bought my spool of rope through Warn, it was about 10 dollars more than the steel cable replacement. My steel cable lasted about 5 years, it started out 50 feet long and I broke it so many times it was only 10 or 15 feet long when I replaced it. I always pay attention to ensure the cable gets spooled in properly and I use an old sling to wrap around objects rather than the cable. With all that being said, Im glad I made the switch. Its got the same rating as the cable and is much easier on the hands when running it in and out:wink: