• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What dodge this has been up to.....

Hello again all mopar1973man members and friends. I've been away from the forum for a good little while as I was traveling for work and had.....a few accidents with ok cummins:duh:first one was in November, during hurricane sandy I had been staying at a friends house all day because I lost power around 2pm. I was driving home around 10 at the peak of the storm and encounter many re routes due to trees down. It's only about a 10 minute ride home. Long story short I was about 2 minutes from home, going around a blind curve at 30mph.....needless to say I couldn't stop before the tree Laing across the entire road. My truck suffered severe damage that would have totaled it. But I didn't have collision on it. So I ended up paying $1500.00 for parts which I used all the best stuff(red head steering box pitman arm, tie rods, fender hood, passenger side control arm upper and lower borgenson high flow power steering pump.....and a lot more) $600.00 to have the frame pulled by a friends. And the same kid hung all the suspensions and did all the labor for $500.00.So it ended up being around $3000 all said and done. I was driving it home from the alignment shop on a frida, I had my truck back for about 10 minute. The smile I had was ear to ear as it was driving phenomenally. About 2 minutes from my house a 17 year old girl in an SUV pulls out of a stop sign right in front of me, I tried to avoid her but she still managed to T-Bone me. Another month and $1400.00 in damage later I got my truck back:thumb1:so on to the good newsthetrucks running great. This past the weekend I put the gauges in and it runs so cool....NEEDS MORE FUEL!!the problem is my clutch has started to slip pretty bad under hard acceleration in 4th and 5th. So it's looking like I'm going to need a clutch before I go fully bombing my truckthe question is what clutch to go with. Here is a list of what I have for the truck that is not currently installed10 fuel plate3gsk spring BD super b special turbo 64/74/14wg (I don't think this is the turbo for as ideally I would like to run 450ish HP and its a little big)my goals for the truck are 450 ish HP and to try and maintain 23mpg average. My truck is daily driver and would like to keep it as reliable as possible to.the clutches I've looked at are the valair Kevlar/ceramic rates at 500hp/1000tq. It sounds good as far as drive ability goes. The second is the valair ceramic/ceramic rated at 600hp/1100tq I've kind of ruled this one out as I will lightly tow from time to time and the driving manners seem to be not suited me. The last one I looked at is the valair street dual disk. It's rated at 550hp/1100tq.my question is do you guys thin the dual disk is worth the extra money ? I would like to have the extra holding power in case I exceed my goal of 450hp which is possible. But I do tow from time to time and travel into Philadelphia as well. Would the driving manners be as mild as xtreme diesel site makes it out to be? I just want to Make sure that if I'm spending this kinda money on a clutch. Defiantly want to get one suited for my needs.sorry for the long type up but figured I'd get it all out in one. I'll put some pics up of the wrecks later tonight.

Double disk and big input is well worth the money!! Ive ran the 600hp valair and South Bend Con Fe clutches in other trucks ive owned and they are jerky and grabby. i went from the 3850 single ceramic to a 3600 valair double disk. the DD was way smoother. i bought my 98 with 5th gear out so while the transmission was out i replaced the stock clutch with the "quiet" 3250 South Bend double disk, it was rattle free for the first 8-10k miles and the rubber chatter clips wore out or fell out. now its louder than the average double disk. i filled the gap between the floor and the transmission with spray foam, you can barley hear it over the engine with the windows up. your money ahead to go with a double disk the first time :2cents:

98.5- thanks. I've been reading around and doing searches and it seems as though a DD would work well around. I'm thinking ill go with the Kevlar/ ceramic dd. I'm still concerned as to the life ill get out of it, and how still it would get after bumper to bumper traffic. And do you think the input shaft is a must for HP range? Also did you upgrade your hydraulics to the valair HD?

on the old truck they hydros went out with the south bend single disk..... the valairs are all 3600 plate load so you will need heavy hydros. the big input is a must with a double disk, in fact i dont think anyone makes clutches for the the stock 5spd input. i had Dan(owner of valair) make my first double disk to fit the stock input. i broke the input shaft in less than a month, I'm thinking he told me that mine was one of the only DD that he made with the small splines....for obvious reasons lolim running stock hydros with my south bend, but the plate load is only 3250# and it has the feel of a stock clutch. other than it not being the quite clutch that south bend claimed i have been more than happy with it. But its hard to beat the customer service of Valair!! The Valair ceramic double disk in the 99 held up to TST PM3/Haisley box, 240 injectors, hot rod vp with a 64/71/14 and then hx35over ht3b. with many boosted launches, 1000's of miles towing, lots of bumper to bumper traffic.

I just put a valair ceramic dd in and it is a booger in traffic. Guys at valair said they put graphite on the input shaft but I hate to pull it out again. My buddy has the 13" valair ceramic rated for 600 hp and he beats the crud out of it with 5x.016 injectors, 4k+ rpm and 67mm turbo and it does great. This dd holds like no tomorrow but I have a time getting it into gear from a stop. I am using stock hydros but they are only 4 months old and the pressure is not much more than the stock clutch felt.