• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Front Crankshaft Seal

While servicing my truck I noticed a severe oil leak coming from what appears to be the Crank Shaft. If I were repairing the KDP how much more work would it be to replace the CS Seal? This is a first for me and help/ Information about the procedure will be appreciated. Is there a write up on this?

Check out my thread. I did mine last week: http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/8556-Going-to-kill-the-KDP-soon-advice Caveat- you should take it apart regardles. If it's a severe leak, just to make sure it's not the kdp Since you must remove the timing cover to get to the kdp, it's a no-brainer you might as well do the crank seal since it's pressed in timing cover. The crank seal must be carefully tapped in from the back (gear side) of the cover. Just make sure it's facing the same direction as the original. Personally I would reccomend you get the replacement seal from the dealer. It comes with a plastic ramp like sleeve that allows you to install the timing cover back on the crankshaft without rolling the seal lip. I had a hell of a time installing the seal, but now that I've done it I can do it again no problem. Just take your time, keep everything clean and use the ultra-grey rtv when re-installing the cover. Also, take a good read in my thread referenced above. Make sure all the case bolts are tight (and don't over torque!).

• Like 1

What year of truck? It could possible be the crankcase vent puking oil on the front of the engine Kdps are rare to fall out on vp trucks. But you can go in there in tab it. When you go in, you end up replacing the front crank seal and it is kinda a pain to get into the front cover. I am going to be doing a write up on various seal changes once I can get some customers trucks done and finally get mine into the shop

• Like 2

What year of truck? It could possible be the crankcase vent puking oil on the front of the engine

He's right, If you have a puke bottle it can leave you with a huge oily mess about the front of your engine and radiator. Best to delete the puke bottle as detailed here: http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/1514-Mopar1973Man-s-Crankcase-Vent-Modification My truck was profound, oil everywhere, entire front of engine, fan, fan shroud and radiator all caked with oil and dirt solids just like in the picture on mopar1973mans thread above. I spent nearly 2 days degreasing/scrubbing and pressurewashing engine and everything in the vicinity. If your radiator is full of oilbound solids, best way to clean is take the fan & radiator shroud off, then remove radiaotor, i & soak with degreaser & gently (very gently) scrub with a plastic bristle brush as not to puncture or bend the fins. I then lightly hit it with a pressure washer at a 90 degree angle (dont' want to hit it sideways or you will bend fins).
  • Like 2