• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

P0743 p1693

My truck will only go in limp mode. Third gear only unless I manually shift 1-2-3. No overdrive. I get two codes - 1693 and 0743. The first time it went out I took the relay out and put it back in and it worked for 15 minutes. After trying this a few times it now has a code all of time and clearing the code does nothing once the car is truned back on. I checked the wires going into the transmission and the wires on the pcm. I also checked my lock up controller and I don't see any obvious wiring problems. I put a continuity tester on every connection on my lock up controller and there was not any continuity between the wires. I am now at a loss for how to diagnose this.

Sounds like a dead governor pressure solenoid, it is on the side of the valvebody inside the trans pan. When they go bad it goes into limp mode. I know from experience it happened on my 02 it could also be the cause of your shudder if it has been acting up.I would go to Suncoast transmission for a replacement,they have a custom one that will tolerate more pressure and are supposed to be able to operate even with contaminated oil where as the stock ones are prone to siezing and bad solenoids.

Edited by Wild and Free

Here you go for references a link for a stock one and a pick and link to the one from suncoasts site.

http://www.suncoastconverters.com/dodge/dodge_products.html

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/A500_42RE_A618_46RE_transmission_solenoids_p/530-00053397a.htm

Posted Image

Edited by Wild and Free

If a stock one is available locally I have to go with that but if not I will order the suncoast one. I am hauling a wide load across the country this week. I won't be allowed to drive it on the weekend so I can't wait too long for parts. Thanks again for all of your help.

I replaced all of the solenoids today. I also took the VB apart and cleaned it. No more problems. I did see a lot of fine dust like particles on the governer pressure solenoid. The particles looked black. Is this tc clutch material?