• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Headlight Wiring With Relays

So, I decided to build a relay harness for my headlights. I've heard people have had good luck with getting more light output so i decided to give it a go.

With the harness installed, only the driver headlight works. It looks much brighter, but one light wont cut it! LOL. High and low beam have the same result. The high beam indicator is on with the high beams but goes off with the lows, like its supposed to. 

I used the Low+ and Common from one side on the relay for the low beams, then I used the High+ and Common from the other side to trigger the Highbeam relay. The reason I used the common from the OEM harness is these headlighs are 99% of the time ground switched/triggered systems.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why I only have one light lit? Relays are confirmed working, Wiring is soldered with verified continuity.

Thanks,

Travis 

Fuse is fine...I unplug the harness and the lights work as normal, and it tests fine. I'll give the single side approach a try. You are right, far far less current than a light running on it. Also, I'm thinking since its ground switched maybe the switch is expecting to "see" both filaments resistance. I'll give it a try.

Travis