• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Pyrometer Install

So i have everything wired up, gauge, amplifier, probe. The only thing I have left is literally the power and ground. I spliced my power for all my gauges into the dimmer switch, but what have you guys spliced in for power for the actual pyrometer? I ran out of time yesterday and literally I was at the point of "eeny meeny miney mo."

Any ideas that is a good 12v key source and not hard to get to?

Finally got my pyrometer installed. MAN WAS IT A PITFA to tap the manifold!!!!!!  I actually couldn't get it tapped at all for a long time!! I got the engine hot, tried it, no bueno...tried using a heat gun on the surface, still no bueno. I even put ice on it thinking if I make it harder then the tap would grab....still nothing but pissing in the wind. I finally broke down went to the auto parts store and bought another 1/8 NPT tap and BAM!!!! It worked like a charm, stupid *** tap was more dull than I thought. After about 3 seconds it grabbed like a boss and started my tapping procedure. I got the power and ground hooked up and I absolutely love this gauge. New to me in the sense I have never seen one work except for CHT gauges in a plane.

After driving for some time yesterday and today I found out that at idle my EGTs are between 300-325*F at idle and at 70mph it will fluctuate around 600-700*F. I even tried to get the truck above 1100*F and I barely made it there at WOT from 50-80mph 6th gear pull. I mean it barely made the very tip of the yellow on my gauge, so I assume everything is working like it should be on my truck. Thoughts? Is this all normal?

Edited by Kotta390