• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

misunderstanding of depression and related problems.

Killer223

I have to say something, in regards to Robin Willams suicide.

People ask how could someone so bright and happy with a nice life, family, kids, etc someone that on the outside has it all, ever want to end it all.

The majority of the population have not the faintest idea what the struggles of depression and the thought of suicide have on the human brain and thought process. Having had many of these struggles in the past and still on occasion today I know full well what some of the reasoning is.

Hurt. He very may well have wanted to stop hurting his loved ones. People that struggle with addiction and depression don't want to hurt the ones that care about them. They get clean, go to rehab, then relapse, do more coke, more alcohol. In turn hurting the ones around them that love them.

Some see suicide as a way to end the pain for others. Yeah they will hurt for a while, but then the pain subsides, and one wouldn't be able to hurt them any more year after year.

This line of thought is called my most as irrational. However to the depressed and struggling. It's perfectly rational. The thought “I won't be able to let them down any more” or “ I can't continue to hurt them when I'm gone.”

• Like 1

I lost a very close friend to suicide several years ago. Unknown to everyone but his wife, he had been battling depression for quite some time, ended up going on a drinking binge one night and got in a big brawl in a local bar where he hurt 4 or 5 people, one of them very seriously. The police were looking for him, and once he sobered up and realized what he had done it was too much to bear and he went out in the woods and ended it all with the squeeze of a trigger. He left behind a successful career, a wife, and 3 young children. The pain it caused his children was so deep and scarring I hated him for it for a long time. I didn't know how to cope with it so I did the only thing I knew which was put everything I was feeling away and just be there for his kids  as much as I could. Thank god they have all grown up to be productive, law abiding, citizens. When something like this (Robin Williams) comes up, it brings back a lot of painful memories. I sure do miss my friend.

I know what you mean when you say this, killer. I have a person in the family who has the same train of thought. I know about and sometimes have to correct the person. It usually comes in a seasonal manner so fortunately its not all the time.

Yes, depression is ugly. I have a nephew that grew up with my wife that committed suicide. I had been trying for a few weeks to get him to move into my house and get a job around here, but depression won out. He sent us a letter that was timed to where we got the letter about an hour too late.