• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Need advice!

DON'T BUY A  TOYOTA  WITH THE  3.0!  (Unless the  headgaskets  already been recently   replaced)

typically,   a   22re  4 cylinder  is   about  1500-2000  dollars  higher than  the optional   3.0 V-6   

I bought  a  4 cylinder 1994  pickup last  spring,  for my  daily bomber/gopher  vechicle.       Man,   those  toyo's  (pound for pound)  are  the  toughest  hammer in the  box.     Finding one that isn't  rusted out... well,  good luck!

When  I drive mine  1 mile to my son's house,  it's  fully  warmed up.   Those  toyo's  have  a heating system that'll  melt your   underwear.      

Edited by rancherman

DON'T BUY A TOYOTA WITH THE 3.0! (Unless the headgaskets already been recently replaced)

typically, a 22re 4 cylinder is about 1500-2000 dollars higher than the optional 3.0 V-6

I bought a 4 cylinder 1994 pickup last spring, for my daily bomber/gopher vechicle. Man, those toyo's (pound for pound) are the toughest hammer in the box. Finding one that isn't rusted out... well, good luck!

When I drive mine 1 mile to my son's house, it's fully warmed up. Those toyo's have a heating system that'll melt your underwear.

would you say 4000 is too much for a 93, 22re 4x4 5 speed, if its not rusted anywhere and a good solid frame?

150k body miles, 60k on motor

just curious on your thoughts!

by the way, you painted a very disturbing mental picture in my head with the melt your underwear hahaha

would you say 4000 is too much for a 93, 22re 4x4 5 speed, if its not rusted anywhere and a good solid frame?

150k body miles, 60k on motor

just curious on your thoughts!

by the way, you painted a very disturbing mental picture in my head with the melt your underwear hahaha

Spring of this year,  I  sent my son  up to  Great Falls  Montana,  via bus  (great dad eh?)  to  bring home  an  online find.     It's   a  1994   Toyo pickup,  5 speed,  ( I don't think they even offered an automatic with the 4 cyl. I believe you needed to get a  T100 )   and  4X4.          only thing  it  doesn't have is   AC.        187k miles,   and  I paid   4500.       I figured  I paid  about  1000 bucks more than the average,  but the lack of rust    was the tipping point.  

It was  impossible to find one  around 'here' or points east  that  wasn't  daylighted  with rust!

Good used   vehicles  are going to cost!   I never  would've dreamed  a  20 YO   Japanese  vehicle  would  cost  4500..     

This is  what you can expect;      19   winter  mpgs,  and     on a  really GOOD   summer day,   25 mpg.      Keep the  hubs  unlocked.     Don't lug the  lil  buzz bomb,  keep her   buzzing.         

Would  I   do it again?    for me,  yes.    I paid  the  same for this   toyo    as  a    decent    4 wheeler...  and    IT'S GOT A  HEATER AND RADIO!!

You'll  see these listed  for  about  2500  for  a  trashed out  beat to heck   200k ... up to  14,000  for a  tricked out    rock crawler.    Your  4000   is  about  right.

:thumb1:

Edited by rancherman

Spring of this year, I sent my son up to Great Falls Montana, via bus (great dad eh?) to bring home an online find. It's a 1994 Toyo pickup, 5 speed, ( I don't think they even offered an automatic with the 4 cyl. I believe you needed to get a T100 ) and 4X4. only thing it doesn't have is AC. 187k miles, and I paid 4500. I figured I paid about 1000 bucks more than the average, but the lack of rust was the tipping point.

It was impossible to find one around 'here' or points east that wasn't daylighted with rust!

Good used vehicles are going to cost! I never would've dreamed a 20 YO Japanese vehicle would cost 4500..

This is what you can expect; 19 winter mpgs, and on a really GOOD summer day, 25 mpg. Keep the hubs unlocked. Don't lug the lil buzz bomb, keep her buzzing.

Would I do it again? for me, yes. I paid the same for this toyo as a decent 4 wheeler... and IT'S GOT A HEATER AND RADIO!!

You'll see these listed for about 2500 for a trashed out beat to heck 200k ... up to 14,000 for a tricked out rock crawler. Your 4000 is about right.

:thumb1:

thanks! thats what i was looking for!

they sure hold their value well. any problem areas of the truck i should check?

the only bad part is the truck has a new paint job but whoever painted it forgot the back of the cab...

hmmm,   make sure you use the proper  gear oils,    It takes  the same   GL  for  both the  transmission and transfer case.  (in case the seal  goes bad between them) 

You will be   amazed at the  vacuum tube maze  on top of the engine.   99%  of it is for   the  egr system...   which  works  fine...  until  there is  a leak in one of the many hoses...

There is  detailed  info on yotatech.com  on how to  remove it all.   I still have mine in place,  and   no problems. 

I had my  Yo  home  for 2 months  when the head gasket  let go.   Thinking back,  I'm pretty sure   the  lil truck was overheated from  PO    

1.   scratch marks over the hood  told me  someone  ran it through a fence

2.   brand new   radiator

3.   brand new  front bumper

So,  I found out real quick,  you must not overheat these buggers!    I pulled the engine,  replaced the  head with an aftermarket one  (250 bucks for a loaded head)  and  100 bucks for a  little hotter cam.  New clutch while I was  in that deep,  I put in a  set of rebuilt  injectors too,   and  new head bolts.

I figured the head  was warped, because as soon as I took it off the block, the cam  didn't turn very freely.   So,  right off the bat,  I had  about  700 bucks  tied up into it.

Been singing like a  sewing machine ever since.  

The ONLY  problematic  area  on the  22re  is  the  timing chain tensioner.      The  slack side  portion is  plastic,  and   tends  to  bust off,  which  then gets ground up,  which then  plugs the  intake screen on the  oil pump.   The aftermarket  has   come up with a  metal version which  eliminates  this.  Hopefully,  the  engine builder who recently did yours  put in this   upgrade.     Otherwise,     expect  the  old style  plastic to last  about   50-70k miles.   You'll know when it's  busted,  the chain slap will be pretty loud, and  will eventually   wear through the timing case.

Speaking of  Oil pressure,    don't be alarmed when  the  idle pressure  goes  to  near zero when hot.       5 psi  is  all   Japan  said  is needed!    Mine  runs  about   mid  gauge for  pressure  at highway speed, and  drops  to  less than   1/4 gauge  at idle.    It moves  quite a bit between the  idle and  3000 rpm.

One thing you'll notice when working on this  vehicle...  there is  NO   'impossible'  fastener  that can't be reached with basic   tools..     No special  high dollar  wrenches or  sockets,   and      they made sure  just about  every  bolt is accessible  from  the  ground..    Ok,  you'll cuss a little  when it's  time  to  spin off the  oil filter..  but  it's  doable from the topside.    (or through the  boo boo hatch  on the  passenger side  inner fenderwell.) 

I use a paper clip to  short out the  2 terminals  to set the  basic  engine timing...     5*   is  all she needs,  the computer does the rest with   it's  knock sensor.

Edited by rancherman

i had to pass on the truck i previously mentioned, he wants $5000 for it, not $4000, and im just not sure its worth it.. it does have the metal guides for the timing chain though, he told me that

thanks for all the solid information! its easier to find info here than on tacomaworld forum, and this isnt even a toyota forum  :thumb1:

i had to pass on the truck i previously mentioned, he wants $5000 for it, not $4000, and im just not sure its worth it.. it does have the metal guides for the timing chain though, he told me that

thanks for all the solid information! its easier to find info here than on tacomaworld forum, and this isnt even a toyota forum  :thumb1:

End of winter,  early spring is  the   best time  for   pricing a  4X4..     This time of year,  EVERYONE IS  THINKING  SNOW!   Let him   sit on it,  he may  get  back to you!

People see the  'cute'  little  truck, and think;  PERFECT!   Just what I need for   getting around  this winter..    (and keep the  Escalade parked in the  garage)

Edited by rancherman

Well the problem he has is he has 5700 in it as of last week and has no use for it as his daily driver is a 4x4 also and roomier. So it sits in his garage. I can understand though, after owning a 6.0 power stroke I understand the feeling of losing money (a lot of money) on a vehicle. It sucks, I'm going to borrow it for the weekend, go over it with a fine toothed comb and think about it before I jump on it for 5. I don't want to seem too desperate. I just know a lot of people rag on these little trucks, so it's more peace of mind buying from an old friend that babies everything.

I hate decisions, someone just loan me a few million permanately? Haha