• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Need advice!

So I just moved to a new place that's located exactly 1.7 miles from my parking spot at work. (Good and bad I guess)

I am thinking of buying a new vehicle, but that's not really what id like to do.. With winter coming around, is this short drive there and short drive back going to hurt my truck? I've always got my truck up to operating temperature before shutting off, but now I have no choice really.

Should I buy another vehicle to drive on those short trips?

My last question is this: how often should I drive the dodge if I do buy a new vehicle, the dodge will be the 2nd driver. I'd like to keep miles off of it, but a car payment is just not what I need right now.

How long is too long to let a truck sit?

Thanks guys!

I've been in the same boat before. My work was literally a block away as the crow flew, but I had to drive a couple miles just to get there. The truck still sounded cold when I got into the parking lot, but where was no way I was going to walk that distance in the winter. When it only took less than 10 minutes to drive in the winter, it would have taken 30 minutes or more to walk.

Personally, I did not do anything different. Back then, I did not have the fast idle mod from Ed Grafton. All I really did was drive it a little more by making a circuit around town before going home to get it warm and keep the batteries charged.

You may want to consider going to the sever service interval regimen if you use your truck like you speak of. Now, I would adhere to that schedule as I know a little more and have the money as well. It will definitely become spendier to drive like this, but it will still be cheaper than paying on a new to you car.

I would also recommend a winter front, and consider Ed Grafton's fast idle mod. Before taking off to work or from work, use the 3cyl idle feature and your exhaust brake, if you have one, and let it warm up for atleast a good 5 minutes. I have a Scangauge, so I can see when my coolant peaks out from the feature.

Be aware, all of these precautionary steps you take to keep the truck in the healthiest condition for the situation, your mileage is going to tank.

So, if your anything like me, you will do a cost comparison and really figure out what works in the long run...

So it shouldn't hurt anything if I get the high idle mod and just idle it for a few before leaving? There's still the drive home and turning off though..

It all just worries me, I'm very worrisome about my baby haha

Short trips like you are planning is detrimental to the truck as a whole. In my opinion you would be farther ahead to find a cheap car to run for the winter (or even summer too).

Short trips like you are planning is detrimental to the truck as a whole. In my opinion you would be farther ahead to find a cheap car to run for the winter (or even summer too).

that is what i figured, but not what i wanted to hear!

i believe i will try to find me a decent toyota tacoma or 4 runner so i can have something to take hunting that cannot be heard for 15 square miles!

is there any writeups on how to install the high idle mod though? i would like to purchase it, but i am not the best at things like that. if theres a video or how-to writeup id appreciate a link! thanks guys

• Like 1

There is no "install" of the high idle, but just a programming "adjustment" to your ECM. If you know of anyone with a Smarty they can do it for you and most will do it for free.

There is no "install" of the high idle, but just a programming "adjustment" to your ECM. If you know of anyone with a Smarty they can do it for you and most will do it for free.

oh no i have a smarty, i meant the high idle box mod from DAP  :thumb1:

Get the 4 runner.  You can throw everything in the back and not have to worry about it getting wet or anything.  If you need to load/pull something bigger, use the truck.  

im already looking as we speak, god i cant believe the prices on those things even 10 years old! they hold resale value better than our trucks  :cry:

All I can think of is to get a street legal ATV.

i thought about it, but that would suck in the winter also lol

i found a very nice '93 tacoma 5 speed 4x4 that my buddy is willing to sell, brand new motor and paint job, 140k body miles for $4k. thinking about it hard.

im way too lazy to walk home at 4 am every morning!

oh and i found the installation instructions

i thought about it, but that would suck in the winter also lol

i found a very nice '93 tacoma 5 speed 4x4 that my buddy is willing to sell, brand new motor and paint job, 140k body miles for $4k. thinking about it hard.

im way too lazy to walk home at 4 am every morning!

oh and i found the installation instructions

Look for a 98-99 Subaru Outback for under $1000. This will take you anywhere you want to go with ease as they are like a tank in the snow. I'm on my third now, never bother to drive my truck anymore during the winter. I'll let the cheap car rust before my truck :)

I have a friend who rides his street bike year round no matter the ambient temps as long as there is no snow on the streets around town he is riding it. The local news did a story on him a few years back too. His theory is if why not no different than snowmobiling in the cold. Has heated handle bars as well.

If you layer up with just t shirts (more like 7 long sleeved ones), it's amazing how cold you can go and ride a dirt bike.  The t shirts keep you perfectly flexible yet layered enough that the wind doesn't get through and you stay quite warm.  I'd say a thin windbreaker on the outside layer would seal the deal.  Coats never do a thing for me so I don't even own one.  I just wear more shirts.  I have to have tight layers not some big drafty coat.  

Heated handlebars would be a must though.  

i am not one for the cold lol

i have never heard of anybody wearing 7 t shirts and a windbreaker hahaha

good for you though, at least its original! ill have to try it sometime

i think id be better off with an old toyota so i cpuld still have a pickup available

i cringe every time i drive the dodge in the salt.. seems like it rusts them quick!

If you wear a carhatt coat and try and ride a dirt bike, you quickly figure out how much it sucks.  It's like that kids little brother on A Christmas Story.  So I switched to shirts and just kept putting more on.  It was 10F or something and I was fine even doing 40mph across the field.  

But yes, it is unrealistic, get a truck or suv.