• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

F150 forum

angus

For anyone looking for any info on F 150s ? You might as well stay right here.. F 150 forum is nothing but a sack of hammers.

I ask two simple questions

1. can the 4.2L block be drained?

2. What type of coolant does Ford recommend for these trucks.

All I get is people telling me  how I should`nt flush the system because it may loosen deposits, and cause leaks..

I thought the first guy was probably just a knothead even though he had thousands of post, but now another guy has chimed in saying the same thing.. niether one answering either one of my questions???

Am I missing something here??? I don`t know if this 01 truck has the original stuff? or if its been changed fifty times??

I know it looks realively clean, and I think it needs to be flushed out and changed just for my own piece of mind.

Maybe they know something I don`t...

Sounds like a VW forum I was on. I asked a transmission question and the first post was "DON'T YOU READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL?" all caps too....... I was asking why the DSG transmission will make the car want to lurch slightly when cold.

LOL!

To be honest, I already have a heavy lean towards the (HOAT) G05 antifreeze my CR uses based on what I have seen personally, but I like to hear other peoples thoughts/opinions on things.

And as soon as I can get my Son out of his truck long enough to let me dive under it I can figure out for myself if the block has any drain plugs. I just thought maybe someone over there might have done this procedure and have a little insight. Looks like those guys recommend leaving it alone until something happens.. :wow:

I can't say as I have seen very many engine blocks in personal vehicles with drain plugs. Even your little Cummins does not have any. Pull the lower hose and then the t'stat. Stick a garden hose in it and let it run until clear, I guess.

I can't say as I have seen very many engine blocks in personal vehicles with drain plugs. Even your little Cummins does not have any. Pull the lower hose and then the t'stat. Stick a garden hose in it and let it run until clear, I guess.

The old small & big block Chevrolets I grew up with had pipe plugs in both water jackets. So draining or flushing the system was pretty simple.

I learned on this forum that my 5.9 does not have a drain in the block, so I wound up doing it the way AH64 does it by draining, and filling several cycles of distilled water through until all of the coolant is removed. I put one gallon of strait antifreeze back, and then toped it off with 50/50.

Kind of a pain in the A$$ but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

I also had never thought of using distilled water before until I heard it here. We have very hard water where I live, and it had never occurred to me what that does in a cooling system.

Its nice to be a part of a forum where the guys know a little more than who has the coolest floor mats....Maybe i`m being a little hard on those guys?? but I don`t think so.