• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2010 Ram 1500 rear axle identity.

OK from my research for rear carriers I found that 2010 was a crossover year for the 1500 as far as rear axles went, there are 3 different rear axles one being a 10.5 inch ring gear and the confusion comes with the 2 different 9.25 inch ring gears, one is a standard Chrysler and one is the newer Chrysler "ZF" 9.25 and there is a lot of confusion about the two and how to tell the difference.

I have been searching for a while and most forums get off topic on the subject but I finally found a link with great info on this for future reference.

Issues popped up when folks wanted to change gear ratios and the aftermarket stalled out for a couple years not wanting to R&D a product for a new axle that had issues with pinion nuts and other things but have since stepped up with products for them now.

Upon looking at mine I am lucky enough to have the normal older Chrysler 9.25 so after market parts are easier to get for me. Now to decide which one to go with.

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/files/PDF%20Files/2010-9-25-zf-tech.pdf

I was going to suggest looking at the axle tag, but you already figured out which one it is.

That is where the confusion comes in, there are no tags on the new ones anymore and no sticker ect and the axle housing is the same only a carrier difference. Until I found the site linked where they show a difference in the cover, no other site showed that even all the gear manufacturers missed that.

Odd that they changed it.  the 9.25 has been the Chrysler staple ever since the 8.75 went away.  

It is still a 9.25 Chrysler carrier they just made some changes to it, bigger bolts to hold the ring gear for one.

I have read on other forums where some have drilled out the factory ring gear and retapped it so to be able to put a regular 9.25 Chrysler in its place and it has worked.