• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

He351ve stand alone Arduino controller code for 2nd Gen Cummins

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, I am having trouble getting my turbo rpm sensor to work, I wired the 9924 chip as listed below, Is this the correct wiring?, does the output from pin 7 from the chip require a 10k pullup resistor? The data sheet for the chip seems to mention this. 

Pin 1 and 2 connect to a 10k resistor per wire and a 100nF capacitor connecting the wires coming from the turbo

Pin 3 not connected  between the wire 

Pin 4 Not connected ( I think) 

Pin 5 ground

Pin 6 ground

pin 7 goes to your arduino uno pin 8 

pin 8 Not connected

pin 9 ground

pin 10 5v

Pin for RPM is used by 8 according to the library for freqmeasure,  so as long as you have the output from the 9924 going to the pin 8 of the arduino it should work.  how is your 9924 soldier onto the arduino?  I know I got mine backwards the first time I tried.

I know I had issues with reading RPM when I had tried to solder the wires, it doesn't take much resistance in the wires to cause the RPM not to read.

Verify continuity in the wires coming from the turbo to the arduino.

I did some looking on how I have mine wired up

Here are the Pins on the 9924 for A2 mode.

So I'll just set this for you.
1 vr+
2 vr-
3 NC
4 GND
5 GND

10 +5v
9 GND
8 NC
7 IO8 + 10k + 5v pullup
6 GND

Top left is 1, Top right is 10
Bottom left is 5, Bottom right is 6

Looks like 4 needs to be set to ground. 

Edited by Me78569

Yes, thats, what i have now, maybe my chip is toast!? Is there a + & - polarity on the actual sensor? maybe i should try reversing the connections? 

Also i have not been able to get the vanes to move as of yet, even by the manual pot, i thing the issue is the canbus communication.

is it normal to have the <can.h> in the code in black text? all the other library's referenced are in amber. I have canmasterlibray in my library files so not sure whats not right there?

can.png

The code you posted an image of shows that you are trying to setup the canbus shield on pin 9.  The early seeedstudio boards used pin 10.  

I would verify your board is using pin 10 then change the can channel to be pin 10 

First tab line 23

Change

MCP CAN1 (9);       //Create CAN Channel

To

MCP CAN1 (10);       //Create CAN Channel

That should make your turbo start responding.  

Yes, so I tried it with 10 in that line and tried reversing the can bus wires to see if that's wrong... but still no response....my next step i was going to try it on pin 9 and try that.....is it normal to have the can.h define statement in black or should it be amber like the other define statements? 

• 3 months later...

Hi Again, I am only getting back to this project now.........so to update i finally got my turbo to respond, only thing thats worked for me is copy and pasting the text version of the code on page 1 of the thread. So im guessing that version has been updated since??,For the moment My present issue is when potactive is selected and i turn the pot the turbo actuator jumps from 20cm to 6 cm suddenly,  seems to move smoothly from 25 to 20cm, then jumps....no proportional adjustment from 20-6cm? and ideas on that? is there some adjustment on that in the code....its a 10k  pot i am using

Thanks

You can see the code changes in the version.txt file in the download section. 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B46GXQ9arT2lfmR2RXZLQXlBWmRiRU5OS044VXpBNkxiYmpqUy1tc01hZFdaM2RvQU9mcUE

Note that after version 1.05 or something the code was designed for a mega board rather than a uno.  I am guessing that your shaft speed issue was related to that.

As for your manual vane settings, did you get a linear 10k pot or a guitar 10k pot? sounds like the pot is not linear or the pot is bad.

Edited by Me78569

O.k,yes i think it was a guitar pot I was using, ill try a  linear pot. Yes i suspected there was something uncompatible with the later versions of code with  my hardware. Can you tell me what hardware you used for your setup?

I would just keep using your uno.  I used a mega so I could control lockup and EB at the same time, plus some other stuff I haven't gotten to yet.  

The 1.06 code ( or whtaever it is) has the same base code so you really aren't missing much.

2 hours ago, w124tony said:

O.k,yes i think it was a guitar pot I was using, ill try a  linear pot. Yes i suspected there was something uncompatible with the later versions of code with  my hardware. Can you tell me what hardware you used for your setup?

sorry just looked up the versions.  You want version 1.11 for the uno that will have all the features.