• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rebuild a 1st Gen front end

• Owner

Well... I got to admit its not to hard to rebuilt a 1st Gen 2WD front end... I got to adimt its costly but not hard to do. But I got a suggestion to toss out for other 1st Gen owners that have to do ball joints. Heat the A arms (not the ball joint) up with a propane torch a bit. Then take a air hammer and a chisel bit and beat the ball joints out in a counter clockwise direction. Work excellent for me... When you get them out make sure to use a bit of mineral spirits to wipe out the hole this will make it easy for the new joints to screw in using a large pair of channel locks. This happen to be Taz's truck... http://forum.mopar1973man.com/showthread.php/1367-Need-front-end-parts-for-a-1992-Dodge-Cummins-1-Ton-2WD

• 2 weeks later...

something similar happened to me. i started on the passenger side...knocked it outta the park. then moved over to the drivers side. i got the old ones out and realized the upper was different then the one i just put in on the passenger side. it was WAY smaller and looked like it had already been pressed about halfway. o'reilly swapped it out, but i think the manager could see me boiling. since my tierod ends were toast...and no money to change them...i never completely removed the spindle/knuckle.are you saying those ball joints have threads to twist on and off? cause mine had little ridges running up and down for biting for pressing

• Owner

Strange setup... The upper ball joints have a thread on them and twist out. But is a very strange rounded thread. But now the lower ball joints are smooth shank and are pressed in. Now the funny part is the 1st set of ball joint I got were mis packaged and are too small. So we found one more ball joint with the same number but the right ones... But now waiting for 1 to show up Tuesday from Spokane, WA. I'm going to grab the camera and post some pics later today of the new parts... I know Taz would chime in but he's got limited access to internet currently...