• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

How To Cut Open An Oil Filter

Frog

Ok, so I heard y'all mention wanting photos and stuff on cutting open filters and checking for materials/debris inside. So, I thought I would put together a little how to for everyone.

IMG_2406_zpsmbngih2m.jpg

So, here is my filter cutter and an old knife that I use to cut out the pleats of the filter.

IMG_2407_zps0njsnkzt.jpg

I know it's not a diesel filter, but it will suffice for this how to, I place the filter in a vise to keep it stable while I am using the cutter.

IMG_2408_zpsao1dv3ct.jpg

I remove the o-ring from the oil filter. I do this because it interferes with the cutting tool and has a tendency to roll up and get in the way.

IMG_2409_zpsjsfd3eyr.jpg

I place the cutter on top of the filter and tighten it until it touches the filter, then all you do is rotate the tool a couple of times and then tighten down the cutter a little more and rotate a couple more times....continue doing this until the filter is cut open.

IMG_2410_zps6acnymqt.jpg

Here is the filter after a few rotations.

IMG_2411_zpssov04l64.jpg

Here is the filter with the base cut off.

IMG_2412_zpsgmgvnjwg.jpg

Now you can just pull the filter element from the filter housing.

IMG_2413_zpsp7f5bpgl.jpg

Now set the filter element down on it's side and use your knife to start cutting the first pleat, cut vertically. Then I count over 6-8 pleats and cut that section vertically.

IMG_2414_zpsc2ewbipv.jpg

After making the (2) vertical cuts, I grab the bundle of pleats.

IMG_2415_zpsa6mh4czn.jpg

Next I cut horizontally, to separate the selected section from the filter.

IMG_2416_zps6bhqklba.jpg

Next, just pull the cut out portion of the filter media from the filter.

IMG_2417_zpsyqaye7sp.jpg

This is the post filtered inner portion of the filter media. (Filtered Oil)

IMG_2418_zpsubs5kqm9.jpg

This is the pre-filtered outer section of the filter media. (Unfiltered Oil) This is where all the metal/debris will be located.

IMG_2419_zpsyevujcmr.jpg

Inside of filter housing. Check for debris/metal in the bottom of the housing.

IMG_2420_zpsc3arcomn.jpg

Ok, now I am using a pig mat, but paper towels will work too. Place the pleats in a vise as shown.

IMG_2422_zpsg2hb2nk4.jpg

Next, crank down the vise and it will squeeze out the excessive oil from the filter pleats and allow you to see what is trapped inside.

IMG_2423_zpsjhgeh02v.jpg

Now isn't that better!!! This is the unfiltered oil side of the filter media. (Outer Section) You can see some debris in this filter but no metal.

IMG_2424_zpsknay8y6b.jpg

This is the filtered oil side of the filter media. (Inner Section) This section should be clean....should be.

IMG_2425_zps50fl1sln.jpg

That's it...see how easy that was!!

I will post some more photos later of metal in some filters that I have cut open. If you do not do an oil analysis, this would be a good thing to do periodically or at every oil change...which ever you prefer.

Some particulates are acceptable, some are not.....I will post examples when I can. I hope you all enjoy this and hopefully it will help someone understand how to inspect their filters.

Frog

Edited by Frog
  • Like 3