• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rear brake problem, Disk brakes conversion.. Help!

:shrug:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Can anyone ID this rearend in my 98.5 dodge? Its supposed to be a drum brake but someone previous to me swapped this into the truck, I bought a 2002 caliper and its the same one and the rotor I bought looks similar to the inside 50% of this assembly, Do I need to pull my wheel bearings etc? Anyone in the Vancouver Washington area that can help?

Thanks.

Paul

is there an id tag on the axle? it is a short piece on one the the diff pan bolts. it will id the axle and give your gear ratio

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

if you take a pic of the diff pan...i can probably id it

It looks like a Dodge Dana 80 Dually hybrid axle. This would make sense as it would be the easiest conversion. A Ford or GM Dana 80 Dually would have 10 lugs. It could be a Dana 70HD dually but that would be a much harder conversion likely requiring the spring perches to be moved. You will need to remove the entire hub assembly to unbolt the rotor from the hub. The rotor is only the inner half of the assembly in your picture.

• Like 1

Well, now that I have it apart, Its got the worse wheel bearings I've ever handled myself.. And It kills me that I never noticed while driving this beast. ugh. Anyone local to Vancouver Washington that can press some new ones in for me?

• Owner

Not me... As for bearing those should be standard tapper roller bearing with a tappered race. You should be able to drive the races out with a piece of soft metal rod. Should be simular to this... (2 1/2 Ton millitary fire truck with drum brakes - this was the only bearing pic I could find fast) :banghead: http://forum.mopar1973man.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=709 Should be able to do this with basic tools. When I did this with the fire dept I was using a old chunk of re-bar... :rolleyes:

I'm such a newbie.. I'm tired of it. I had a old friend stop by today and point out that the bearings are fine they just "float" in there and when pressed up against the shaft they are just fine and have no wobble. Back to bad brakes I guess. And, the other side was physically broken as well. But, good news was I was chatting with him about the truck and possibly selling it etc. and he pointed out that he's pretty sure that the fuel system has been replaced as in a newer vp44 and lines/injectors as they all looked newer to him and the injector pump had been painted instead of being raw aluminum as well as fresh looking polyurethane fuel line mounts.Do you guys think he's right since the inj. pump has clean paint on it and the lines have poly mounts that the system has probably been replaced?Thanks.

• Owner

I'm such a newbie.. I'm tired of it. I had a old friend stop by today and point out that the bearings are fine they just "float" in there and when pressed up against the shaft they are just fine and have no wobble. Back to bad brakes I guess. And, the other side was physically broken as well. But, good news was I was chatting with him about the truck and possibly selling it etc. and he pointed out that he's pretty sure that the fuel system has been replaced as in a newer vp44 and lines/injectors as they all looked newer to him and the injector pump had been painted instead of being raw aluminum as well as fresh looking polyurethane fuel line mounts.

Do you guys think he's right since the inj. pump has clean paint on it and the lines have poly mounts that the system has probably been replaced?

Thanks.

Painted black? High quality VP44's are normally UNPAINTED aluminum. Black painted pumps are from Czechoslovakia and are usually of low grade and life span. Hmmm... As for the poly mount most all trucks came with moly vibration block to tie the high pressure lines to together.

Here is what mine look like factory injection lines. (Donig a RV275 injector install)

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=711

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=710