• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Harmonic balancer health?

Hey guys,

While the engine is running, noticed the H-balancer has a slight wobble.  

Feels tight if i tap on it, but looking like some rubber pieces may have broken off.  Otherwise runs smooth. no noticeble vibration beyond the normal diesel cummins clatter we all know and love!

Are these known to fail?

IMG_0839.JPG

It is actually a vibration damper not a harmonic balancer, the B Cummins is internally balanced. Looking at the pics I would say its time for a replacement as the rubber looks to be deteriorated out of it which is probably what's making it wobble. You replace it with a fluidamper you will be amazed at how much smoother the rig will run.

I looked at your web site.....beautiful work, that is almost a lost art anymore. I worked used to with a guy that still does old fashioned blacksmithing / forging and teaches it as well, he specializes in making the old style iron decorative German grave markers yet.

Edited by Wild and Free

3 minutes ago, Wild and Free said:

It is actually a vibration damper not a harmonic balancer, the B Cummins is internally balanced. Looking at the pics I would say its time for a replacement as the rubber looks to be deteriorated out of it which is probably what's making it wobble. You replace it with a fluidamper you will be amazed at how much smoother the rig will run.

He can't because of the mechanical lift pump.

OP yes, you should replace it. An OEM replacement should be just fine!

2 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

He can't because of the mechanical lift pump.

OP yes, you should replace it. An OEM replacement should be just fine!

After seeing what his specialty is I think a bit of tweaking and some old fashioned metal fabrication is well within his abilities lol.

You are probably right, its Been too many years to remember the clearance when I had the fliudamper on my 02 so can't give an honest answer anymore. My brains Dang photographic memory battery is going dead I guess.

Personally I would do a fluidamper and then go with an electric fan after running one and knowing the advantages of them. Heck in my world running no fan is not all bad either,  know many Cummins owners who run w/o a fan with zero issues except running ac in town in the summer.

Edited by Wild and Free

3 hours ago, Wild and Free said:

I looked at your web site.....beautiful work, that is almost a lost art anymore. I worked used to with a guy that still does old fashioned blacksmithing / forging and teaches it as well, he specializes in making the old style iron decorative German grave markers yet.

Thanks

Glad you like my work. I'm just beginning to dedicate more time to it.

I'm not familiar with the fluid dampeners. Is the difference significant? Less vibration?  I'm tempted to look into it - maybe I'll check with the folks at Fuel Boss to see if they have any exp with anyone running a fluid dampener with the Fuel Boss mechanical pump setup.

Is there any specific brand of fluid dampener you guys recommend? Where to buy?

Thanks!