• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Transfer Case Temperature

Just changed the fluid in the Transfer Case in sig below and went for a drive of about 50 min. - 50% at ~60mph and the rest stop and go at 45mph. The transfer case was hot - just a little too hot to keep your hand on it but not as hot as the auto trans pan. Is this about right? I thought the Transfer Case would be cooler since it is was in 2H and not actually being driven (as in 4L or 4H) - although it is a live axle!? Did another drive on the Interstate for ~ 1 hour. Transfer case was too hot to keep hand on and was hotter that the trans pan!Is any of this normal? I do REALLY want to know!?

• Owner

What kind of fluid did you use? When you changed it did you get any debris or metal out of it? Heat seem to be a bit hot side really... I wonder if the bearing problem? Also on the later trucks 2001.5 and up the front shaft is always turning too... It disconnected but still turning with the front wheels...

I used the ATF-4 fluid that is recommended. I did not look at the fluid close because I was so distracted - cleaning up an unexpected mess! It did look somewhat dark though. Do not know if there were any shiny particles though - no large chunks for sure. The rear bearing in the tail housing was replaced since I was putting on a different setup.I plan on changing the fluid again this fall in order to get a good flush.It was my thought as well that it is not driven but it is turning. I expected it to be only mildly warm. Also, someone mentioned that heat from the trans could be transfering into the transfer case since they are mechanically connected. I did not check the temperature of the trans case - just the pan.Next time I think I will check the temp with a temp probe. I was just hoping someone had some first hand experience. I wish I did! Wish I had checked these temps before I did any work - just had no idea!

Again, went for a drive of about 50 min. - 50% at 60mph and the rest stop and go at 45mph. Checked the temperature of the Transfer Case and it was 130*F which is well below the 175*F point at which ATF-4 starts to break down. So, I think I am OK. Just surprised it gets that hot but some heat may be coming from the trans.

Again, went for a drive of about 50 min. - 50% at 60mph and the rest stop and go at 45mph. Checked the temperature of the Transfer Case and it was 130*F which is well below the 175*F point at which ATF-4 starts to break down. So, I think I am OK. Just surprised it gets that hot but some heat may be coming from the trans.

Where did you get the info of ATF-4 breaking down at 175*? It is a partial synthetic and I have never seen an oil that degrades at that low of temp. Even with carbon based oils you are good to 200ish most synthetics will take a lot higher temp for a lot longer before breaking down. Rule of thumb is anything over 210-215 for extended periods is bad anything under 200 is ok for extended periods.

• 3 weeks later...