• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Installing a 46RE or 47RE transmission

• Owner

I know a lot of people have to transmission work at home on their shop floor without a lift. I wish I would of shot pictures on the way out. What you need is 2 cam buckle straps and 2 ratchet straps. On the way down you put both cam buckle strap across under the transmission on at the front and one at the rear. Hooking to the frame one on left and on right side. Once the transmission is loose wiggle a bit and allow it to be cradled in the straps. Single man can hold like the rear strap ease it down a few inches and then swap.

Now the photo here I used the ratchet straps to lift it back up but doubled up with cam buckle straps. So again ratchet strap can be reset while laying in the cam buckle strap temporarily and then you can go up some more.

DSCF6865.JPG

DSCF6868.JPG

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2

• Owner

So was I. I go the transmission out without a jack and placed back up without jack. I did use a jack for a few periods of time for angle adjustment. Floor jack is a help but also hindrance because of the fact of the lift amount is too short. A 8x8 wood block has to be use to fill the gap making it rather a balancing act if done wrong. Then rolling around on a creeper you keep hooking the jack or handle making things jiggle. Like I said I only used the jack to get angle adjustment. Then when I was close I started threading all the bolts in so the transmission is on slide pins more or less. Just jiggle a bit and tighen up your bolts by hand keep closing your gap.

Edited by Mopar1973Man