• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Finally Got My Truck Fixed

dorkweed

It took a while, but it's done. I initially took it in to have the front seal replaced, find the "thumping" in the front end and to "time the CP3". I thought for sure it was the front seal, as there was oil all over the front cover and looked to be coming from the crankshaft seal. They replaced it, and while in there they did the CP3 timing thing. The thumping was worn out stabilizer bar bushings!! The axle U-joints were also toast.......greasables too!!!!Anyhow, I get the truck back..............sounds super quiet now..........that CP3 timing thing really does work!!:thumb1: Drive around to do some errands and guess what?????? I've still got the oil spots under the truck at each stop!!!!:mad: It's a similar pattern to prior, but definitely different. I call the shop up and tell them I'm bringing back in Monday AM as it was Saturday mid afternoon now.Bring it back on Monday. Get a call on Wednesday telling me they found the leak, but that it requires major truck/engine dissassembly!!!! It's a gasket that goes between the block and a machined "spacer" that the front cover bolts to. The bolts from the front cover actually go through this part and into the block. This piece is what makes space for all the gears behind the front cover.Well to replace this, you need to essentially pull the front of the truck off, pull the valve cover, pushrods, cam, etc.:smart:........!!!!!!! They're good mechanics over there, but the owner is buds with a Cummins tech and was getting info from him how to do this more efficiently.Long story short, I'm out more $$$$ than I wanted to be having to take it in twice, but the truck is brand new quiet now. The CP3 timing thing and the valve lash adjustment because of having to pull the rockers, pushrods etc. have made my truck so quiet, and so smoothly powerful now, it's almost scary. Pat, the owner of the shop even drove it around for a day to make sure there wasn't any leaks. He asked me when I picked the truck up if I had a chip in her. I said no, I have a Smarty on her!!!!

glad to hear you got your truck running good.:thumbup2:besides the front end racket...does she drive any different? what is the cp3 timing thing? i thought the injectors opened by a signal from the ecu, and therefor the ecu handled timing. i don't know a whole lot about 3rd gens so i'm interested in learning.

glad to hear you got your truck running good.:thumbup2:

besides the front end racket...does she drive any different? what is the cp3 timing thing? i thought the injectors opened by a signal from the ecu, and therefor the ecu handled timing. i don't know a whole lot about 3rd gens so i'm interested in learning.

X2 on the above highlight^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'll do my best to 'splain the CP3 timing.:smart:In all actuality, you're not "timing" it to the engine or anything like that. There are no timing marks on the gears for this. What you're doing is "phasing" the pulses from the CP3 to the engine so they don't make the metallic ticking sound that I've been hearing since I put a re-manufactured CP3 on the truck just over a year ago. The CP3 is a 3 piston rotary style pumps and the Cummins an inline 6 piston engine. If the pulses from the fuel igniting in the cylinders and the fuel getting pumped to the rail via the CP3 aren't in "phase", you get some gear lash sound. Remember when the 3rd gens first came out and some were real quiet and some had this ticking sound????? I seem to recall that a lot of the ticking was said to be injectors, but I'll bet much of it was this. It sounds like someone tapping a quarter on the windshield and only happens after the truck warms up and the oil thins a bit. The colder, thicker oil I think masks the sound. The lash adjust on the valves they did also made the truck quieter also. The power is so SMOOTH now. Does that help???

• Like 1

I found out about this on another site different from the one I'm linking y'all to now.:moon::moon: You know what I mean!!!!!:lmao2::lmao2: Most of the posts are worthless and folks asking questions and others just not plain getting it. "Wicked Diesels" has about the best explainations in the thread as to why this works as well as a couple others. It looks like a long thread, but just skim it and look for the longer posts. They'll do a better job than I of explaining.!!!:smart: There's the link. http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-powertrain/23399-cp3-timing-results.html