• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

time to fix the power windows on the 2000

Most of the summer,  the only way to  get the  drivers  side to work was to 'thump'  the  inside door panel,  just below the switches... whilst   holding the switch.  Made for some pretty  erratic   driving to say the least..

sonny   tried a new switch,  but that didn't work either,   same   action was needed to make it work.     Now the  passenger side no longer works,  but it  worked  fine until  yesterday.

Is that   metal  'fuse'  in the side dash   a fuse, circuit breaker, or relay?   It's  the same that runs  the  power seats..  but  swapping them  made no difference..  seat works fine with either.

So,  what's  the  order of  events here?    Find out  if  there is  12v  to the  switch...  and   follow that path?     

My 01 sometimes worked sometimes didn't.  I still have to fix and have put it off...BUT what I read in manual is first step. 

"ONE WINDOW INOPERATIVE... The window glass must be free to slide up and down for the power window motor to function properly. If the glass is not free to move up and down, the motor will overload and trip the integral circuit breaker. To determine if the glass is free, disconnect the regulator plate from the glass. Then slide the window up and down by hand. There is an alternate method to check if the glass is free. Position the glass between the up and down stops. Then, shake the glass in the door. Check that the glass can be moved slightly from side to side, front to rear, and up and down. Then check that the glass is not bound tight in the tracks. If the glass is free, proceed with the diagnosis ...

• Like 1

The first thing I would do is pull the door panel and and verify power at the window motor. If you have + and - at the motor then blow all the dirt out of it and give it a few thumps to see if it comes back to life. 

If no power then time to start working your way back and find the open wire. The new switch could also be faulty seeing as the passenger window died too. It's wired through the drivers switch so I'd  try the old switch before tearing to much apart. 

Gotcha!

So this  thermal protector in  inside the motor? 

I have a  feeling it's going to be  multiple  issues..  LOL,    the  drivers side  will probably be a  worn/burnt motor,  and the  passenger side  is  feeling the effects of  a  bad connection coming  from the  recent  switch replacement.. (sonny  might have missed a plug connector device)