• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

p0122,p0380 and speed sensor code

Hi guys my trouble with apps came back cause of cold weather here.  Tonight I've gone for a little ride everything OK . Little trip at the market, on my way home after start the truck it has 5-7-8% of apps.  I had no speedometer. Before I had the glow plug circuit 1 trouble code when the cold has arrived!!!!    I'm thinking of electrical problem or if the heater relay can cause those problems??   need help about this one.   its weird!!!     thanks

The grid heater shouldnt be causing any issues with the APPS sensor or anything else. Unless maybe the grid is shorted out somewhere and maybe drawing to much power?? Not sure on that one. What kind of voltage do you show on the the gauge when these problems happen?

When I was living in North Dakota there were a couple times in the winter that my alternator acted up. Sometimes it wouldnt charge at all and other times it would overcharge. I know the ECM controls this but it only did it when below 0. Kind of strange but maybe something like that is happening here.

yes maybe. its a strange problem. This morning I remove the rear speed sensor, wipe it and check for continuity. It was ok.   For the grid heater relay. It has a wire unplugged! the little ones was too loose on the stud, so i take plier to pinch it.... I did the apps reset.  Erase the codes.    I started the truck and my apps was still at 3-4% (little less than yesterday) ...

I go for a ride,  my speedo works fine.... check for codes, had only p1693 and no other. I erase it.   Tomorrow I'll see if it's always OK, cause the cold begins here!!           

Just a weird thing.. I take it to the town, the truck was hot and when I start it, even if it's hot the grid heater cycling a little ???   would like to know what tells the heater to cycling? like when cold to cycling and when hot not cycling at start up. Seems like a trouble somewhere else??   sensor?? ecm??

Thanks for help!!          would like to run fine before winter!!    

If I remember correctly the grid heater will cycle anytime after the truck has been started until you get it up to 20 mph. Then it stops cycling the grids. Also, the APPS sensors on these trucks are pretty notorious for failing. I am not saying yours has failed for sure but if you are still having problems with it and it is setting codes I would maybe look at switching it out. Where are you seeing the APPS percentage at? The Edge?

Speaking of codes you may want to check your codes again with an actual code reader. The 1693 just means there is a code in the other module (PCM,ECM) so there should be at least one other code hanging out in there.

Yes I check APPS % with the edge module, same thing for the code!!     In summer the APPS was fine like 0-1%  but when the cold comes and grid heater cycling, it seems it bugs something .   Apps goes 4-5% sometimes 6-7-8% .  really strange.

Hate technologie with the electronic  hahaha      thanks @likeoldford                     wish to find that problem!!!!

• Like 1

• Staff

I like that you mentioned this. I was in a 20 degree cold spell when I would start up and get dead pedal. Happened twice in those cold mornings till I got saved by the Timbo APPS.

I also read about strange error codes occurring with the lift pump powered off the ECM. The lift pump was going out and put a lot of power demand on the ECM causing random error codes. Guy got lucky when he thought about the lift pump playing havoc on the diagnostics of the truck.

Edited by JAG1

Maybe time to get a timbo apps!!!   but mine work good until it get cold...   this morning it was 0 celcius, the apps was 3-4 %   after work  at start up it was 3-4 %  than take a stop at the store.  When I restart the truck the apps was 2-3%  ..  Seems like when hot and after 3-4 start up the apps recalibrate or return at the good position itself!!  really weird, hate that random trouble!!!    When arrived at home I check for code and nothing ..  All ok      now its the apps problem that bugging me!

Thanks guys for infos