• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Auto Trans Questions

Hey all,
I need some auto transmission advice. My brother-in-law is wanting to trade his 04 hemi for a 96 cummins. Anyway the trans has some issues. I've got the 01 24v 5 speed so I don't know how to advise him and I'm hoping you all can help me out. Apparently this truck is sometimes hard to get to shift, but if you wiggle the selector, then it will sometimes shift through the gears, but tonight my brother in law said the owner was unable to get it into reverse. Do these issues sound like it could be the selector linkage, or is the owner just trying to make this sound like an easy fix? Just trying to determine if this is in need of a full rebuild or something like a valve body or solenoid...

Next question is, if it does need a trans, will a trans out of an 02 5.9 gasser bolt up and work? We have a decent one available, but I don't know whats compatible with what.

Thirdly, anything else specific to check on this truck before buying? We know to check blowy, but as I said I have a 24v so I don't know all the little things to check on these, anything else big to look at? The truck has a Fass fuel system. Why do guys do that on these 12v's? Don't they have a cam driven lift pump like the old VE trucks do?
Thanks in advance for any help!