• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1. Take off injection line2. Take off fuel return line, make sure you don't drop the copper washer that "U's" around both sides of the return line3. Unscrew hold down nut, 15/16".4. It will pull out if you are extremely lucky, otherwise, you need to screw something over the top of the injector threads so you have something to pull the injector with, pulling on any part of the injector may damage it. There is a special tool you can get that screws onto the threads of the injector (where the injector lines go) which is connected to a rod with a slider weight on it, you slide it up really fast and it hammers the injector out. There is a copper washer on the injector around the tip, make sure you don't leave that in the hole if it doesn't come out with the injector. If you are putting new injectors in and you use their copper washers, it will end up 2 washers thick and mess up the fuel spray in the combustion chamber. Make sure you clean the area really good before you do anything, and make sure nothing gets in the top of the injector where the injection lines screw onto, if anything gets in there, it will go through the injector :badidea:When putting back together, injector hold down nut is 44 ft/lbs and injector line nuts are 22 ft/lbs. Use some antiseize on hold down nut.

I would think it would work. The injector I tried wouldn't come out by hand at all, not being that desperate, I just let it be. If a lugnut has the same thread then that would be perfect, then get some vice grips around the lugnut and rip the injector out. I wouldn't try anything unless I had all the threads of the injector in the lugnut so you aren't pulling on just 1 or 2 threads, don't want to have to buy a new injector just because you pulled so hard that you messed the threads up. I'm sure you could easily make a makeshift hammer like the tool you buy from cummins. I'd say if you spray the injectors with penetrating oil and let it soak for 10 min and then put a nut over the threads and a vise grip on the nut, the injector would come out. Mine was in there pretty good so the hammering method might be the only easy way to do it, but theres a number of methods to get enough force to pull the injector out with the lugnut :whistle:

12v Homemade Injector Puller..... -Cut a piece of PVC pipe OR Electrial Conduit Pipe just long enough to allow for the top threads of the injector to be utilized. Once you have done that slide the pipe down over the injector and use a FACTORY lug nut and a rachet/socket combo to remove the injectors.As you tighten down on the lugnut it will pull the 12v injector up and you will feel it release from the head. When reinstalling the injectors put some anti-sieze on the bodies and o-rings and make sure you place the ball on the injector body into the notch on the head.The reinstall the injector nut and retorque to 44ft lbs.

Well in the name of some articles, I pulled all 6 today. The lugnut trick worked, it was a little loose thread but it was able to thread all the way down and none of the threads were damaged. They were in there GOOD. I had to use a 4ft crow bar that I stuck in the hole of vise grips, and I used one of the longer sockets as a fulcrum right up next to the injector, if you were too far away, it wouldn't get enough leverage. I even got to the point of putting a fence post driver on the end of the crow bar to add weight and leverage and then it worked a little better lol. I started taking a wrench to the flat spots on the injector and turned them side to side the 1/8" that would turn and that did seem to help. I need to look the numbers up to see if they are aftermarket or not. Don't look too bad after 325k though, I put a thin layer of grease all over all of them since they do have a little surface rust, figured it would help them coming out next time too :lol: Here's an article I made on it. http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen12v/injectors/injectors.htm

post-45-138698165101_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

That woulda been easier than what I had to do. I didn't have spare toyota pickups laying around so had to reuse the lugnut from my own truck. Might have to dig around for one now. Mine were stuck in there so good I had to get very creative. I lubed them all up with grease so lets hope they come out easier monday.