• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

strange noise and oil leak

On 10/6/2017 at 6:01 PM, Waydin_Stewart said:

I would love pointers on how to fix oil pan gasket leaking. My front cover, tappet cover, and oil pan leak. Brand new rear main seal 1000 miles on it or so. If I get the oil pan gasket to stop leaking I might get an itch and want to fix the other 2 leaks aswell. ALSO, What can I do with the front case vent to stop it from dripping on front axle?

Here is my oil pan story: Just did this about a month ago. I bought the gasket at Napa, make sure you get a one piece to make it easy. I highly recommend Permatex Right Stuff. I’ve used it on over a dozen oil pans and pretty much everything that needs sealed except fuel. Loosen the motor mount bolts, don’t remove them. The top of mount on frame is angled so it will lift. I chained a cherry picker to the motor with the lift eye at top of motor and one on the motor mount on the opposite side. Use something to protect the fuel injection lines. I also removed the starter to make room to use chain on motor mount, I wrapped chain and used hook on the mount that bolts to the motor. Unbolt the fan from the fan clutch so you don’t break the fan shroud. Lift the motor with picker, make sure the mounts move, the first couple times I lifted the whole truck and the motor never budged. I used a bottle jack to lift on the passenger motor mount then with picker down and got that mount to move, then the picker lifted it. I lifted until the motor hit the firewall, my air box lifted free so if yours is tight you might want to remove the hose from the filter to the turbo input. Then I still didn’t have enough clearance, due to the oil pickup tube, so I put a small bottle jack between the steering brace and the bottom passenger corner of motor right beside the oil pan. There is an exposed flat there beside the pan corner. Lifting there lifted just the front of the motor and gave me tons of room to get the pan out. Clean, new pickup tube gasket ( torque to correct specs) and then I put a thin layer of right stuff on the bottom of motor, this held the new gasket in place and makes it much easier. Then I put up pan and hand tightened bolts, let it sit for 30 mins to setup and then I torqued to spec all pan bolts.