• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fan clutch shaft sheared off

You guys ever seen this? It was a Duralast part, I knew I shoulda gone to Napa but I didnt want to drive across town. Now I have a Napa 1 mi from the house. OEM is a reasonable $135 on Amazon.

I backed my timing down 3 units per RPM band except max (that's down 2) from the Extreme Injector Tune in the custom tunes section. Truck was running real smooth, feeling real good. This happened on an on-ramp to the hwy, about 2200 +/-200 rpms, maybe 45mph-ish. Just enjoying that strong midrange torque it lays down. Nothing too crazy. Real shame it happened, though. I put a warranty claim into Mishi, we'll see what they say.

Made it home 15 miles w/o spewing any coolant, no running hot (same as ever, 183-185*F), but definitely not holding pressure. I have some pics of the radiator split pretty good in various places. Nothing too bad, not as bad as you would expect, but a bit is all it takes.

Mishi rad with fan (Medium).jpg

Edited by rogerash0
  • Thanks 1

• Owner

That sucks... I've had my 1973 Dodge Charger start to weep coolant from the water pump figured I had a few more days. Nope not even ten miles that water pump threw the fan into the face of the radiator. Back then brass radiators could be solder up and made to work. Now with aluminum your stuck replacing it. 

Oh sorry, new phone plus bad spelling plus auto correct plus excuses. I meant to have a place melt wax onto it to seal it up.

I called a local place and he said they dont use the "wax" (if thats what it is), they use flux core aluminum rod, but sometimes it opens the holes and cracks up worse.

He said they pressure test it to 15psi. Any thoughts on what stock PSI is on our trucks? My Mishi cap says 1.3 bar / 19psi.

Edited by rogerash0

That should be the very highest point, right? Thanks for the good info. I did get the fleece bypass kit which is a thermostat reroute orifice that plugs into the freeze plug at the back of the motor right up against the firewall. I dont know what its opening pressure is.

Is this metal debris nuts or what. I didn't even know I had a magnetic oil drain plug in there.

IMG_20171127_131727915.jpg

IMG_20171127_132330451.jpg

Looks like it only split at the top actually (bottom in the pic)

IMG_20171127_134150159_HDR.jpg

Edited by rogerash0