• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

ECM <--> VP44 Canbus wire replacement

I'm replacing this wire:

chart.jpg

The wire is a shielded twisted-pair with a drain (SAE J1939/11). 

The wire seen here is the stock wire.   It's comically unkempt.   Note that the orange wire is about five inches too long, so that it must be doubled-back to make it the proper length.   Also, the shielding is missing from the first six inches, and the last four inches.   Neither of these is a problem from a functionality standpoint.  I mean, it probably doesn't hurt anything.  It's just sloppy.  That loose twist of shielding provides no benefit, so why did they leave it loose like that? 

stockwire.jpg

This is what I made to replace it.    All new wire and connectors. 

newwire.jpg

It was hard to find a short length of J1939 wire.  I found a few sources  that were happy to sell me a 250ft spool, but I wasn't happy enough to buy it.  I found a guy on ebay selling teflon/silver shielded twisted pair.   $35 bought me 25ft.   I wasn't trying to get silver.  In fact, I wouldn't have bought it if I had realized that this is what it was.  However, this is remarkable wire, so I'm going to give it a try.   It's temperature rated to 200ºC.   I don't know if it's oil rated.  

exposed.jpg

Edited by marked23
  • Thanks 1