• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

We can see that your guest and been lurking about. When you register on the Mopar1973Man.Com site you'll be able to interact with all the other members. This is the most friendliest Cummins forum you'll ever join. Take the time right now and  REGISTER  on the Mopar1973Man.Com this will open up many more options and functions on the website. Everyone is very friendly and helpful just ask questions and everyone will help you out the best they can. 

Sign in to follow this  
Mopar1973Man

Change tires! - 235/85 R16 to 265/75 R16

Well gang... I finally swap my tires for offroad use and firewood hauling. I've been running a Big O at for the streets and light dirt road use (in town). But now with firewood season I'll be doing more dragging and skidding of trees so I put on the aggressive tires. So I popped a few pics... post-2-13869816638_thumb.jpg You'd be surprised on how heavy the 265/75 R16 are compared to a 235/85 R16... :wow:

post-2-138698166373_thumb.jpg

Now after running on my Cooper STT for 2 weeks and watching the MPG fall like a rock I figure i better swap back to the BiG O AT 235/85 R16... I can tell a difference in weigh of the tire by just lifting them but I figure get out the bathroom scale and weigh them... I know this is perfect but this does show a huge difference in rotational mass... Big O AT's 235/85 R16 About 7 inches worth of tread face.post-2-138698167467_thumb.jpg Weighing in at about 60 pounds per wheel.post-2-138698167446_thumb.jpg Cooper STT's 265/75 R16 about 8 1/2 inches worth of tread face.post-2-138698167455_thumb.jpg Weighing in at about 80 pound per wheel.post-2-138698167461_thumb.jpg So for a 1 1/2 inch gain of tread face that is aggressive on steel rim give me a -3 to MPG's with a total extra rotational mass of 80 pounds for all axles. So I'm back to the Big O AT's on my stock aluminum rims and I'll be back to my high MPG mark again... :thumbup2:

Now you got me wondering. I swear mine can't be 60lbs. I throw mine around like nothing. I got the scale back at apartment so have to find a jack to take with me.