• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

99 Cummins auto 4x4 gremlin

So the WT wiring mod is done, I just wanted to know if the alternator cable should be fused since it was from the factory? Also no luck on that fixing the trans so this weekend the trans is coming out and going bye bye for a new one.

On 10/24/2018 at 10:44 AM, pepsi71ocean said:

What are your pressures at the test port in D with O/D off at 1,800 rpm? While 59 is barely in the acceptable rage, you should be closer to 75psi at idle. and in the 140-160psi range at 1,800rpm. 55 is stock by the way.

Now I should also add that line pressures should also be adjusted based on engine HP as well. If your pushing 400HP you should see 160 to 180psi. 3rd gear seems to get abused and fails as much as the O/D units do. but Since your truck has a built transmission then i suspect we need to check these before moving further into the valve body.

How is your TV cable settings? does the truck downshift at all? Im wondering if your valves aren't set right on the pressure side.

Truck downshifts just fine, transmission was built but for towing not a race application or anything my truck is only about 100hp over stock. So nothing crazy.

36 minutes ago, jamesecox said:

So the WT wiring mod is done, I just wanted to know if the alternator cable should be fused since it was from the factory? 

Good question,  it's been debated here lately. I've been running around without a fuse for a while but thinking about getting one. Chances of something happening are slim but they are definitely there. Last time I needed the fuse I was pissing with the stud on back of alternator and touched the ground with my ratchet. Not sure how much damage it would do without the fuse. And then the other scare is starting under hood fires from cooked alternators.

On 11/14/2018 at 6:11 AM, Dieselfuture said:

Good question,  it's been debated here lately. I've been running around without a fuse for a while but thinking about getting one. Chances of something happening are slim but they are definitely there. Last time I needed the fuse I was pissing with the stud on back of alternator and touched the ground with my ratchet. Not sure how much damage it would do without the fuse. And then the other scare is starting under hood fires from cooked alternators.

So with that being said what is the harm in leaving the alternator wire running to the power distributon box where it is fused? I added a fuse inline just in case I'm just working on the theory behind it is all.

On 10/24/2018 at 10:44 AM, pepsi71ocean said:

What are your pressures at the test port in D with O/D off at 1,800 rpm? While 59 is barely in the acceptable rage, you should be closer to 75psi at idle. and in the 140-160psi range at 1,800rpm. 55 is stock by the way.

Now I should also add that line pressures should also be adjusted based on engine HP as well. If your pushing 400HP you should see 160 to 180psi. 3rd gear seems to get abused and fails as much as the O/D units do. but Since your truck has a built transmission then i suspect we need to check these before moving further into the valve body.

How is your TV cable settings? does the truck downshift at all? Im wondering if your valves aren't set right on the pressure side.

Truck downshifts just fine, transmission was built but for towing not a race application or anything my truck is only about 100hp over stock. So nothing crazy

38 minutes ago, jamesecox said:

So with that being said what is the harm in leaving the alternator wire running to the power distributon box where it is fused? I added a fuse inline just in case I'm just working on the theory behind it is all.

The reason that wire is rerouted is because of all the noise coming off it that affects other wires in that Loom. I believe that's the main reason. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so update, ended up doing a trans swap again, first issue is the truck will only start in neutral not.in park however the new one shifts perfect and works good, for about 40 miles then the overdrive off and trans temp kicked on. Dip stick shows full and it seems to work fine. Any suggestions?

After closer inspection the issue has been figured out but not resolved. The transmission that I got was out of a 2000 and my truck is a 99 so the transducer and temp sensor is different. I have all brand new sensors that I had just put in my old transmission. my question now is can I just change out the harness and sensor with my old ones, meaning are they the same size etc. Going to try it this afternoon and hope for the best. Also update on the trans I pulled from my truck, I sent it in to be rebuilt and the shop found that the seal for the round 8 pin connector was bad and was allowing transmission fluid to get in and and jack up the signal and that was the entire reason for my transmission issues. well I guess new alternator and wiring mods and all that were probably a good idea anyway.