• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

NV4500 Countershaft question

Hey everyone,

So where do I start.. So about 30,000 miles ago I had a transmission built for my truck since my last one imploded. This transmission has never "felt right." The problem I'm having is as you probably guessed it 5th gear loss. What keeps happening is I keep losing the countershaft retainer (snap ring.) This is a 1999 dodge and I do that the thicker version of this snap ring. I have replaced this 4 times now. Which is getting expensive due to gear oil prices. I have had just about enough of this failure. Has anyone found a reason why this happens? What I have checked is 5th gear nut tightness, splines and just the usual over look of everything there. What I haven't checked is end play. Not real sure how to correct this if it is end play. Im hoping to tear into this this weekend if I can get all the parts in on time. On the verge of swapping this for a g56. :mad:

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

5th gear nut torque is like 520 to 660 foot pounds depending on shaft design. Like mine is the upgraded main shaft torqued to spec. 

If you beating that nut with a hammer you'll never reach the required torque. This is why you losing the battle. Torque it right and fix the problem.

Well I know I didn't get to that kind of number. I called a local transmission shop and the told me 320-350 would be more then plenty. I used a 1/2" breaker and a cheater and gave it what I could. I will get it as tight as possible next time and hopefully to will hold up. Each time Im in there I make sure it hasn't loosened up but I will give it a shot and attempt to get into that range. I also have the upgraded main shaft, locking nut and I installed the splined locker that keys into the nut. Ill give her the onion!!

Well I posted some overheating issues a while back and one of your recommendations was to go to smaller tires. Well I ended up putting the stock wheels on with 285/70/16 to give it a shot. I also dropped injector size assuming that wasn't helping the situation lol. I had to put a new snap ring on before I left. While pulling my 5th wheel not even touching 5th gear for the sake of myself I still lost it. 

3:54 Gears also. Sorry I missed that

9 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

5th gear nut torque is like 520 to 660 foot pounds depending on shaft design. Like mine is the upgraded main shaft torqued to spec. 

If you beating that nut with a hammer you'll never reach the required torque. This is why you losing the battle. Torque it right and fix the problem.

It don't sound like the OP is having current issues with the 5th gear nut, just the snap ring on the counter shaft 5th gear. Is the needle bearing in good shape, the 5th gear bearing surface and shaft bearing surface? Good snap ring groove? I have not run into this problem before.

The FSM says 270-280 for the nut. I recommend 400.