• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2011 Chrysler 200 3.6L V6 overheated loosing oil into the coolant.

Hey Guys,

So I'm in a pickle here with a 3.6L Pentastar motor. I've spent the better part of 4 days running searches on this and havn't had much luck. So my exe's car had a headlight issue, with the TIPM and I was able to get it fixed up.  Ironically, I noticed her car was low on coolant, but I added some to it. The car was at my parents garage (where i was working on it), and drove about an hour down the road then called me and sent me a photo of what i found out was the low coolant light. As she was driving on the high way I was searching dash symbols on my phone realized what it was. The chimer came on and i told her to pull over and shut the car off. I got a second photo from her with the Temp gauge just below the H line It was about 7/8's of the way to the H line. By the time i got to her car with water she swallowed about a gallon of water. The cap had bubbled the fluid around the whole thing. (Further searching lead me to find out these go bad). I put water in and got a beautiful mix of oily browns and a white goop. Further flushing cleared out the block.

After flushing the block again it was clear, put flush into it ran it for 20 or so mins with the old thermostat that was weak. When i was done I had more brown of the same consistency again. Today I spent for first 3 hours flushing again, and were back to a clean block, but I'm down another quart of oil.

• Car has 103,000 miles on it
  • As far as I know the coolant wasn't ever replaced.
  • The car swallows roughly 1qt of oil every 20 mins.(on flushing the block it did).
  • The car builds pressure very slowly into the radiator when running, there's no bubbles or burping when running.
  • With the car cold I ran a leak-down test on the radiator and I got a 1psi drop over 20 mins, and a 3 psi drop over an hour.
  • There is no visible leaking on the ground.
  • Scan gauge 2 when I hooked it to the car about 15 mins after she shut the car down read 221F. I'm unsure how hot it got.
  • The oil is not milky or discolored.
  • After flushing the car several time the water flushes out fine, but after running the car the brown comes back. and there are dots of dark brown that i suspect is the oil.
  • I found a great website following the oil lubrication system between the block and head, and can't see to many areas where the oil can come into the system under pressure.

I'm prepping to pull the intake off to do a compression test, however the car seems to start up, idle, drive down the highway/ idle hot just fine. I expect to see good compression, as the car runs fine, and i suspect that having a smooth idling/driving car should verify the head gasket.

A few questions.

• Does anyone know if these 3.6L's stout? Or are they known to blow head gaskets?
  • Do the oil cooler/filter assemblies known to leak internally?
  • Is there a way to test the oil filter/cooler assembly?
  • I'm suspecting the cooler assembly, but is there any other fail points where these can fail?

I have an update here, finally was able to get into the motor and found 1/2" of oil in valley where the oil cooler is, and also found what i think maybe some engine coolant as well. I'm working on pulling the oil cooler as we speak, Just need to figure out how to test it.