• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

basic relay wiring

hope this is the correct forum to post/ im looking for a basic wiring diagram to install 2 gm 5 pin relays to a single 3 position switch i want to wire a small winch to work on a single switch in/out the problem is i dont know how to wire the relays to provide both power and ground to a single pole on the winch. i know it can be done i just have not figured out how. if anybody understands this concept could you post a simple wiring diagram with pinouts of the relay and switch. i will greatly appreciate any info on this subject. thank you, koyote.

The 12V things run to the battery. This is just like a carter 3 way, illegal in houses lol. Since you cant turn both relays on at the same time it is perfectly fine, the winch will either run or have 2 negative wires going to it. You can swap the switch positives for negatives and the 2 negatives for positives on the coil if you would rather have switched negatives..

Posted Image

• Like 1

ahhhh thank you great wise one, i am but a fly in the poo discarted by you that grows beautiful roses in the garden of eden. you should teach automotive engineering, care to give a lesson on understanding waveforms of various sensors on a snap-on modis scanner?

wiring is definatley my weakness (well that and typing) when it comes to general automotive. but i do try to increase my knowledge when classes are available locally. i appreciate the info. and another quick question. is there any advantages to switching ground versus power through a switch, i know most ecm's now a days uses switched grounds to perform functions whereas early imports used switched power through ecm's just trying to better understand the complexities of current flow?

wiring is definatley my weakness (well that and typing) when it comes to general automotive. but i do try to increase my knowledge when classes are available locally. i appreciate the info. and another quick question. is there any advantages to switching ground versus power through a switch, i know most ecm's now a days uses switched grounds to perform functions whereas early imports used switched power through ecm's just trying to better understand the complexities of current flow?

Which wires to switch is merely decided on chances of the switch grounding out or safety purposes. Like the switch I drew is with positives, there is chance for it to fray and get grounded on alllllll the things in the truck that are grounded. So you just gotta think about if the positive may end up grounded and spark. So switching the ground would be better since if it frays on the firewall or anything, it won't do anything.