• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

BioDiesel and DPF systems

• Owner

Read this article...

http://biodieselmagazine.com/article.js ... &q=&page=1

Basically all 2007+ with DPF now that use BIO Diesel take the risk of engine damage...

Quoted from the article...

Volkswagen is using post-injection for regeneration and according to Stuart Johnson with the Engineering and Environmental Office of Volkswagen Group of America, the issue of oil dilution from biodiesel is a real concern for the automakers. “We can tolerate up to 50 percent fuel mix in the oil but no more,” he said at the 2008 National Biodiesel Conference.

Volkswagen tests using B5 and post-injection showed 45 percent oil dilution after 10,000 miles, but surprisingly no engine damage was evident upon inspection. “Using B10 at 10,000 miles surpasses that 50 percent threshold—and that is unacceptable,” Johnson said. “We want longer oil change intervals as a car company, so it’s hard for us to talk about this.” The implications are that increased fuel dilution due to biodiesel blends could lead to premature engine wear if oil changes are not done more often.

Biodiesel is losing it qualities! :wow

• 1 year later...

Yes unwashed Bio can be a problem, it has to be good quality, as Michael has stated, that is the key.I had the tank down a few times last year & my tank was just as clean as Michael's.One can not run Biodiesel in a 6.7, at least not more than B20. What I don't understand is how a DPF system can use more fuel per mile & be cleaner burning. Where is that extra fuel per mile going?

• Owner

What I don't understand is how a DPF system can use more fuel per mile & be cleaner burning. Where is that extra fuel per mile going?

What is going on is the the DPF re-gen process actually is causing the injectors to fire during the exhaust stroke to attempt to burn out the DPF by blowing exhaust fire down through the filter. This suppose to burn out the filter clean. Actually the 6.7L engine might have more HP/TQ but there isn't many that can hold up to the old school for MPG's...