• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla tuning assistance

Didn’t get to test the APPS yet but did check boost leaks. I found one boot leaking on the drivers intercooler side and then noticed the plug for the boost elbow missing. I plugged that hole with a 1/8 plug for the time being. While spraying soapy water on the compressor cover with 10-12 psi on the system It bubbled from around the compressor housing bolt/clamp setup. Is their an O-ring behind the cover? I tried tightening the bolts and they wouldn’t budge. 

Attached is a video of the compressor leaking and my rig for testing the wastegate. 

Also when checking the wastegate it seemed to    begin moving around 10psi and seemed fully open around 27psi. How would I want to set up the pretension on the wastegate? 

Thanks

81D38774-5742-468C-A42D-38D59CB41402.jpeg

So on the drive home I loaded the daily tune back up. 

I noticed boost seemed to come up a little sooner but not much. It was much easier to make 5 lbs by 1900 rpms. Still seems like it takes forever for full boost but the wastegate actuator reference is unhooked from the compressor housing so I’m sure that could effect the wastegate operation. Cruising down the highway boost was still 2-3 psi at 70 mph with 925* egts. 

• Owner

I want to point out final ratio plays a roll in EGT's. I see you only 33 inch tires but it will make the final ratio even longer legged. 3.55 will drop to about 3.30 roughly to the ground. This increase EGT's very rapidly.

Where I'm the reverse went down to 30 inch tires and barely making 650*F at 80 MPH. with the same injectors. Close to the same turbo with (60/60/12). Last trip to Nampa, ID was a mere 21.39 MPG floating that 650*F at 80 MPH. This 30 inch tires (factory 245/75 R16) turns the final ratio to 3.69:1 to the ground. 

This becomes very obvious when you hit overdrive on the transmission because the ratio now goes too low and the load on the engine jump up higher. 

I know some will call BS on this but its possible the added drag is creating you EGT's problems. But all things the same but tires (for the most part). I'm running much cooler EGT's vs you. Just something to consider. 

Just for fun last time this conversation came up I pulled a intake manifold bolt and my wastegate hose for 2 massive boost leaks and still never got high EGT's even with two massive boost leaks.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Thanks 1