• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Truck starts, BUT any touch of throttle sends RPM to 1500

So, I was driving home and the truck was running great after having replaced the Governor Pressure Solenoid in the 47re and then suddenly I lose power, truck won’t go above 1500 rpm and Check Engine Light rears it’s ugly head. I limp home and start looking into it.

At first I would get no code at all, truck starts fine, idles well at 850ish but touch the pedal and it shoots straight to 1500 RPM and stays there. Let go it goes right back to 850ish and idles fine. I eventually got the damn thing to give me the code P1689....not what I wanted to see form what I have read.

So, I changed my fuel filter, checked my connections to the VP44 and made sure they were tight. I do not have a fuel pressure gauge to check pressure, have one on order, but was able to prime the fuel system and she started right up just like before, idles nice, touch the pedal and boom straight to 1500!!!! It is not having any trouble starting or idling, which is what has me baffled.

Oh, another thing that has been going on for maybe 2 weeks before this, my “wait to start” light does not come on. Doesn’t matter how long I wait, the light will not come on. Any help I can get from the gurus would be awesome. 

Edited by JAG1

Normally a 1689 means new VP time.  But there is an outside chance that it could be something else causing it.  Among those things are a bad diodes on the alternator causing excessive AC noise or ripple...which can be tested.  Bad or corroded connections between the ECM and the VP.  Bad or corroded connections in the fuse boxes under the hood including the fuel pump relay...or a bad battery or bad ground.

Regarding your WTS light...could also be a bad battery, bad ground or bad/corroded connections on the pcm or ecm or it could be just a burnt out LED in the dash.

Since you got the WTS problem and the 1689 code within 2 weeks of each other I would definitely give your electrical system a really good look and/or cleaning before I dropped a grand on a new VP.  Install your fuel pressure gauge as soon as you get it in and that may tell you all you need to know.  Best of luck to you. 

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 2

• Owner
On 1/6/2020 at 12:51 AM, Bullet said:

Regarding your WTS light...could also be a bad battery, bad ground or bad/corroded connections on the pcm or ecm or it could be just a burnt out LED in the dash.

Can't... If the WTS light is damaged or burnt out it will set a P0381 code. Being there is nothing said about P0381 code I would say the ECM is damaged.