• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

01 ECM compatibility

I know this has been discussed a billion times but i am unable to find the answers I'm searching for.

My question is will a 2001 diesel manual ECM work on a 2001 diesel auto engine wiring harness?

My tuck is a 2001 automatic 4x4 Cummins. The doner truck I'm using for parts is a 2001 manual (5 speed) 2wd.

I have removed the PCM and its harness from the doner and I'm planning on swapping that in to my truck.

I have been trying to get a hold of Smarty so they can hopefully change the VIN # as well as the mileage of the doner ECM & PCM to match my truck.

• Staff
3 hours ago, ERP said:

I have removed the PCM and its harness from the doner and I'm planning on swapping that in to my truck.

The PCM controls the transmission overdrive and and torque converter lockup and the ECM is different for an auto also.   Others that have changed from an auto to a 5  speed will know more about it.

I swapped the ECM between my 2001.5 manual transmission, and my brother's 2001.5 automatic. It seemed to work fine.  I did notice that the stall prevention on my brother's auto ECM  was not as robust as my normal one. (the motor would not automatically respond or respond as quickly as mine....   I normally almost drop the clutch, no slipping to get started.  I stalled his ECM with the manual a couple times.  Other than that I saw zero difference. 

HTH

Hag

IBMobile, I am aware of what the PCM does. I apologize for not being clear enough in my post. My main question was is the Automatic engine harness the same as the Manual engine harness. Hagger has verified this for me.

I switched out mine from a auto to manual (MV5600) The harness is not the same but wil work. First off going from an auto to man means you do not have a clutch switch as well as no Park/Neutral signal in the loop to let the starter relay send power to the starter solenoid. 

Simply finding the signal wire in the auto harness that grounds when in Park/Neutral and ground it. Sorry don't have the schematic around to pin out for you. 

THe Clutch switch harness is there it just has a bypass (yellow wire) located next to the clutch pedal just about the carpet line. 

Almost forgot about reverse light switch, yep going to have to find the wire and run it to the sitch on the manual trans, also sorry don;t have the diagram in front of me. 

Most of the wires that go to the auto trans can be taped back put of the way. 

I think the manual harness has a red tape band on them and the auto has a yellow band. 

Edited by NorCalAndrew

• 1 month later...

I just swapped my 2001 to a manual, I had no other PCM. I ran the neutral safety wire through the clutch peddle. the tree pin plug is reverse lights an neutral wire which is the center wire. I had a check engine issue showing several codes to the transmission after searching for a PCM I decided to just fool mine. I removed a sensors and wiring from a 46re and plugged it in. So for so good no check engine light, now to get the smarty to help with the torque management.