• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Well it would appear my axle sprung a leak

Posted Image

I was looking under the truck after spotting a stain by the passenger side of my truck directly below the tire. It also appears that it has gotten on the tire. However under closer inspection this is what I found.

I am going to check the vent tomorrow and see if it plugged up. But other than that has anyone changed the seals in a Dana 60 before?

Yep, it requires both axles to be removed and the differential carrier needs to be removed also and to install the new ones requires either a special axle seal installer or use some home made tools as most do. It will take 2 people to install the seals if you don't have the right seal installer as they install from the tube side inward.

The factory service manual for a 2001 in the Download section explains how to fix it. Just remember the seal is installed with a special tool that can easily be made by using a length of allthread, some nuts and washers. The pictures in the FSM are good for showing what is required. The seal is accessible through the vacum 4X4 actuator housing once the cover is removed and the half axle and center axle is removed. I have to replace the seal in my truck once it gets worse or I have the time.

since it's the passenger side, you can do only that side, no need to take the carrier out. that side is the easy side. I wouldn't personally change the other side if i didn't half to. mine was leaking on the driver's side. no leak out of the tube seals now, but i can't get the CAD unit to stop seaping! I'm gonna get around to making a special washer to span the 2 bottom bolts to stiffen that flange.

concrete is best. jack stands sink into asphalt! i've learned the hard way when my camaro fell off one hot summer day. the floor jack sunk in when i jacked up the dodge, but i put plywood under the stands nowadays. and good luck with the reseal job. like i said before, i wouldn't do the driver's side if i didn't need too. that is the more difficult side to do.

concrete is best. jack stands sink into asphalt! i've learned the hard way when my camaro fell off one hot summer day. the floor jack sunk in when i jacked up the dodge, but i put plywood under the stands nowadays. and good luck with the reseal job. like i said before, i wouldn't do the driver's side if i didn't need too. that is the more difficult side to do.

Yeah and dirt sucks too!!! When I do mine, I'll do both!!:thumbup2: