• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Comprehensive Component Monitor has me stumped

Hello

So I've been searching and can't really find a ballpark so I figured I'd ask

01 bummins. Trying to pass emmisions on it currently. Tripped the speed sensor and grid heater code came on (deleted from previous owner) replaced the speed sensor and drove it 130 miles to clear them. Speedo came back so I know speed sensors good. No change in CCM. Anyone have an idea how long this may take to complete the drive cycles if everything is good? I checked my scanner a few months back with it for another speed sensor code (Snow Donuts) and it said all my monitors were ready so I know it has the will to want to go green.

Edit: when I was driving it around the first 20 miles I forgot I had the scanner in and I pressed something with my knee on it and it threw it into a 1698 code. Pulled over immediately and shut her down to clear it out. Drove it another 110 miles after that no problems. Scan tool doesn't say anything about it just that the CCM isn't ready

Thanks

Kevin

Edited by Rather Be Wheeling

• Owner

Here is the down low on it... Right out of the Dodge FSM... Page 21-25

DTC Self Erasure

With one trip components or systems, the MIL is illuminated upon test failure and DTCs are stored. Two trip monitors are components requiring failure in two consecutive trips for MIL illumination. Upon failure of the first test, the Task Manager enters a maturing code. If the component fails the test for a second time the code matures and a DTC is set. After three good trips the MIL is extinguished and the Task Manager automatically switches the trip counter to a warm-up cycle counter. DTCs are automatically erased following 40 warm-up cycles if the
component does not fail again.

For misfire and fuel system monitors, the component must pass the test under a Similar Conditions Window in order to record a good trip. A Similar Conditions Window is when engine RPM is within 6375 RPM and load is within 610% of when the fault occurred.

NOTE: It is important to understand that a component does not have to fail under a similar window of operation to mature. It must pass the test under a Similar Conditions Window when it failed to record a Good Trip for DTC erasure for misfire and fuel system monitors.

Thank you for the info. I'm guessing worse case scenario I need to do 10 drive cycles to get that monitor ready. Which isn't bad. I figure that's 3 times the next 3 days and I should in theory be able for emissions on Monday

Just so I'm clear cause it's early it'll take 10 cycles from me clearing the codes compared to 40 cycles of just letting the computer do it?

• Staff
54 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

DTC Self Erasure

From the FSM is for check engine light and trouble code (P code) self erasure with 40 drive cycles.   Now the condition the OP and I are addressing is resetting the monitors not erasing the p codes.

Update: about 7-8 cold starts so far and over 300 miles. Broke up the miles into 60/40 city/highway miles (sucks trying to find traffic during a shelter in place) and the CCMs still not ready. Started asking around everywhere and only person that knows what I was trying to accomplish (for a 24 valve in California) said I most likely need to drive it up to 1000 miles and a minimum 20 cold starts. 

Good news is my Governor finally did something beneficial in my life for once and held smog and registration in California for the next 2 months. So I can still drive it and get it ready without worrying getting pulled over

Edited by Rather Be Wheeling