• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

99 Dodge Cummins surging when coming to a stop

Ok so I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins. It just randomly started revving and trying to turn my rear wheels and Rolling coal when I was slowing down to stop. It happened when I got down to about 10 mph, and the revving caused my truck to shake very aggressively. I also noticed it was shifting to early (my truck was shifting so early, I was already in overdrive by about 48 mph?? Any solutions/ suggestions? Thank you for any help you can provide

• Owner

Start off with...

Pull and test your alternator for excessive AC noise. Replace if the AC noise level is too high. Then make sure to test the new alternator before leaving the store. I've had wiped out a store after having them pull 2 alternators and had then both fail on the bench. 

Any error codes? Any check engine lights? I need to know if the ECM is damaged. Not always will it just fail with code but clues might be given.

This article is to reduce excessive AC noise from jumping off the alternator charge lead into the ground strip heading into ECM and VP44

This one is optional, but it will protect your PCM from shorts in the alternator. 

Ok, so I had the alternator load-tested while still connected to my truck, and it said it was fine. Then we used Orilleys code reader and it threw code P0602. We then cleared it and drove my truck home and it did not surge or shift weird the whole way home? But on the drive into town it was shifting weird and revving at stop signs like it has been doing??