• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Smarty

I just passed 400 miles on this tank of fuel, and the right side of the fuel gauge needle is still touching the left side of the "half tank" line on the fuel gauge!! I'm real happy with that!!! :thumbsup :thumbsup Looking like another 20+mpg tank of fuel!!! B)

They say; I don't know if it's true or not, but the stock 3rd gens weigh about 1,000lbs. more than the equivalent stock 2nd gens. So, Mike, if you want to throw a half ton in the bed of you truck and then do the math......then we may have something to compare!!!!! :smart :thumbsup All the best!!!! :thumbsup :D

I see I'm gonna have to go weigh my truck now!!!! LOL I'll weigh it with a fuel tank of fuel and me (maybe my 80lb. lab also) sitting in it along with all the stuff I normally have in/on the truck........camper shell, dog crate, dog training stuff, 9mm, etc. etc............I'll post up what she goes when I get over near the scales!! I'm guessing she'll come in over 8,000lbs. :smart

• Owner

I see I got you mind a thinking now too...Like My Mom's 1996 Dodge 1500 - 5.9L Gasser / Auto Trans (Short Box) weighs in at 5,500 pounds full of fuel. My truck broke down in weights...Front axle - 4,440 PoundsRear Axle - 2,860 PoundsTotal GVW - 7,300 PoundsGVWR - 8,800 MAX pounds...I'm sure the pic above is well over that... 8| ;)

Just filled up this evening. 598 miles on the tank and the fuel light just came on about 1-2 miles from the station. Hand calculated mileage was 19.8mpg.........The last 4 days of not having the trailer off the truck really brought the mileage down!!! :(:( Still, I'm not disappointed at all!!! Filled up for $4.17/gal also!!! A bud of mine just a bit west of me has been filling up for $3.99/gal, but it's 20%bio!!!!!!! 8|

• Owner

I have a hunch... I think the Dodge / Cummins ECM/PCM's tend to learn from there environments. So if you tow on a normal basis and then pull the trailer off you tend to see a change in MPG's (usually down). Like me during my wood hauling times I see a decline on the first run but after that is starts to rise again... Bu then when I throw the topper back on... It slumps again... Then rises back up in the low 20's... Like today the weather got cold! down to 55-58*F from a high of 110-115*F and I can't get above 19 MPG to save my life... I contribute this to the change of condition and what the ECM/PCM was working for a average... This is just a theory but it does kind of fit... :confused:

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know what happened with this tank of fuel. Maybe bad fuel, much cooler weather, more trailer towing or all of the above. I've only got 559 miles on this tank and I need to fill tomorrow AM. I guessing that this tank will be about 18.5mpg. :confused I guess many would be very happy with that though!!!!! Hahahaha!!!! LOL :smart I tend to think it's poor fuel, because the truck feels doggy........almost like winter diesel. I recently cleaned my air filter and changed both fuel filters also. Just turned 88,000 on the clock today also!! That's about 14,000miles on the SouthBend clutch now, 8000 miles after all the front end work, and about 7000 miles on the Cooper Discoverer ATR's now. Truck is real tight. And I just put on new Bilstein shocks around also!!! Big difference with them!!! I would recommend them!!

• 3 weeks later...

I''m leaving for North Dakota tomorrow. It's my/our annual hunting trip. I'll post about mileage and stuff. And yes, Maiden, I promise I will take more pictures!!!! :thumbsup All the best everyone. I'll post back in about 2 weeks or so!!! :thumbsup :thumbsup Mike, I've had a couple chances to plug your website on CF recently!! Hopefully we'll get a few more converts!!! See you when I get back!!! :smart B)

• 3 weeks later...

I'll will be a Smarty purchaser in the near future. A buddy of mine hooked me up with a test run with the TNT program :drool :thumbsup Instant believer :thumbsup

• 1 year later...