• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Horn issue

I replaced the clock spring about 3 weeks ago to fix the airbag light and cruise issue I was having.

While reinstalling the airbag I pinched the horn wire and didn't notice till I was driving home and got the horn to blow when turning left!

Got home and repaired it with a butt splice connector and all seemed well for about 5 hours then the horn lit off solidly blowing for all it was worth.

Went out started the truck moved the wheel and all was well until about 10pm then it did it again!

Removed the horn relay and nothing since.

My question in all of this is: Do I need to replace the clock spring or could this be a horn pad issue like the 94 Durango's had of being bent and making contact with ware??The wire from the clock spring had a copper mesh look to it and I was worried it had a inner shielded wire and my butt splice was making contact and grounding out on the shielding-- didn't see an inner core wire when I repaired it though.

Could this possibly be a issue with the CTM? I don't have key fob's so cant set the alarm.

Truck is a SLT Laramie and the build sheet states it has the factory alarm system.

Any help on where to look would be much appreciated as I am NOT a wiring guy and no real good with all that stuff!!

Thanks

I would say horn pad, when going together did you force anything aside from just pinching the wire(s) with the air bag assembly?

Horn pad is just connecting/completing the circuit of the  beep beep. I could be wrong but I think it's just connecting to ground to complete the circuit. Atleast that's how the older trucks I've messed are operated - I have yet to pull a horn pad in mine yet so...

So option A horn pad is out, option B you have pinch more than what you see and you are grounding out somewhere near your mistake. Maybe someone else here has messed with a horn pad and can assist, if I'm incorrect :think:

Stanley:

Thanks for the reply, I didn't see anything bent out of shape when I pulled it back off, however I didn't look really close! I will tear it back open when she comes back from the Overhaul shop and see if I did tweak it somehow. If I have any money left over I might just pony up and get 2 fob's to see if its the CTM/Security module acting up, and the girl friend would have a button then other than just a key lol.

@Stubilly I just replaced my clockspring, didn't really pay close attention to the horn stuff, I was replacing due to intermittent wiper issue and no cruise. I only remember 3 connections, L&R cruise and airbag. I was in a hurry so I that's maybe why I don't remember a (horn wire) :think: I thought I took some pics but I guess I deleted them after the job. :duh:

Also had CTM issue - power locks stopped working, unplugged original checked terminals and swapped in another no change plugged old one back in replaced fuse and it worked. I've seen a couple instances where this has worked for others on certain issues, it just being a bad connection....:2cents: