• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

P0243 Code - No +12V to wastegate solenoid

• Owner

So lets start with the code I know its not list here. The P0243 code is a wastegate solenoid issue. Either there is no +12V power or no control from the ECM on the ground side. 

image.png

Now I can say that this wiring diagram is not very helpful at all. The wire colors are wrong here too. The plug at the solenoid is Dark Blue (ground to ECM) then there is pink/yellow. Then tracing back from the solenoid I do have continuity from the pink/yellow to the C130 connector. At this point the wire swaps to red/orange color heading to the TIPM. Now that red/orange wire now there is two connectors in the TIPM that have this red/orange colored wire going to the module. One is constant hot +12V the other one is dead even key on. A friend informed me it might be powered with tach signal (engine running). 

I've thought of cutting in a new key hot power line to the c130 connector and going form there. I don't want to start chopping up wiring to make this work. The other problem is there is no continuity from the c130 to either red/orange in the TIPM. Now I'm stumped. 

Little info or help would be nice...

ADDON: I finished my oil change and then fired up and checked the orange/yellow wire at the TIPM and there is no power present. Fuse is good. Power across the fuse as well. Even with the solenoid removed from the turbo and unplugged there is no code for the solenoid being missing. I figured it would pop the code fairly instantly. 

According to the 2006 Dodge FSM 

• When Monitored:
When the ignition is on.
• Set Condition:
The ECM detects an open or short circuit in the Wastegate solenoid circuit.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

SOLVED!!!

Number 1 the Dodge FSM book has a error in the wiring map in the P0243 code document. But if you go to the 8W-30-28 page in the 2006 Dodge FSM and look at the wastegate solenoid versus the P0243 page with its map two different things. Here is the correct diagram.

image.png

Then here is the incorrect map that is provided at the P0243 code... 

image.png

Now take look at the fuse number. The second one is fuse #36 vs the correct one that is fuse #6. Then look at the wire color on the second one the map calls for one grey/pink. Then the correct one is pink//yellow from the solenoid to the C130 connector. Then above the C130 connector turns to the Red/orange which the first map is correct. So this could really mess with you. 

So back to the problem the previous owner must have blown that fuse and never replaced it or something because the port was empty for #6. Now that I plugged a 30A fuse in it since that was my biggest fuse on hand the error code is gone. Then now that solves the other problem with the fan clutch and summer overheating being the same fuse that runs the fan clutch. 

Just needed a fuse in the #6 port and problem solved. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

The command valve defaults full open when lower is lost, so you were only making ~23 psi of boost before and now you’ll peak at 28-32 and settle our around 28-30. 

With the +50 injectors and only 23 psi I’ll bet that those EGT’s were scary hot! 

Edited by AH64ID

• Staff

Well if you can hit 30 without power to the solenoid something seems awry with the mechanical side. The mechanical wastegate opens at 23. 

On my 05 I wasn’t able to get over 23-25 with the solenoid power removed, and that was with a lot more fuel than you have. That’s what is supposed to happen. 

• Owner
Just now, AH64ID said:

Well if you can hit 30 without power to the solenoid something seems awry with the mechanical side.

Back when this all went down the error code would pop up randomly after awhile I just drove on it. New solenoid I bought from DAP and installed it seemed to work for awhile maybe not all being the fuses was missing. But it was capable of 30 PSI boost easy. After now figuring the fuse #6 out and getting a fuse in the socket now the P0243 code is over and done but once in a blue moon trip a P0234 over boost code with those +50 HP injectors.

• Owner

What if the solenoid is closed and no boost was reach the wastegate since the no fuse?

Then asking what is max stock boost? 30 PSI I'm guessing?

Currently it stays pretty close to 30 PSI as a max. Just depends on how I spike the boost pressure like I said its rare but can trip the overboost. Currently I would have to say the wastegate is working. Currently I've got "Thor" parked till I find the driveline vibration now. I'm not sure if its a u-joint or what yet. 

• Staff

The solenoid takes power to close, so without a fuse the solenoid should be fully open (it’s a modulating valance). That’s why you should have been limited to 23-25 psi with the fuse removed. Basically without power it’s a 100% mechanical system with a 23 psi wastegate. 

Peak boost is 30-32 but will often settle at 28-30 depending on load and elevation. 

It may be partially working, but all the stuff your describing indicates it’s not working 100% like it should. Maybe it’s only partially opening. 

Edited by AH64ID
  • Like 1